1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Laurent Series

1. May 1, 2012 #1

gbu

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the Laurent series of
    [itex]
    \frac{(z+2)}{(z-1)}
    [/itex]

on

[itex]C_1: 1 < |z|[/itex]
    and
    [itex]C_2: 0 < |z| < 1[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

I have a formula for computing Laurent series, but it includes an integral that is impossible to solve. For everything that I've read, no one actually solves them this way. I don't think there's any relevant equations that I know that can help.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've been stumped on this for four days now. I've been trying to self-work through a complex analysis textbook over the summer, and I'm really close to giving up as I completely can't wrap my head around the annulus type Laurent series stuff.

Any advice helps. I've read lots and Googled lots. I know Taylor series and such...

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2012 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Note that

[tex]\frac{z+2}{z-1} = \frac{z - 1 + 3}{z - 1} = 1 + \frac{3}{z - 1}[/tex]

Can you express the second term as a power series?

4. May 2, 2012 #3

gbu

OK, yes. Thank you!

I recognize that... but a power series around what value? What do I do with the C_0 and C_1 annuli?

A power series around 0 makes it pretty easy (though the answer doesn't appear sensical), but the C_0 says 1 < |z| and the |z| doesn't meet that condition at 0. Although, I really don't understand what we're doing with these rings at all...

5. May 2, 2012 #4
    Zero. They're both expansions about the point zero but Laurent series are convergent in annular domains separated by singular points. z=1 is a singular point of that function so any laurent series about the point zero will converge in one ring with |z|<1 and outside that ring another different Laurent series represents the function again between singular points but this time it's 1 and infinity. To find out that second one, write:

[tex]\frac{z+2}{z-1}=1+\frac{3}{z(1-1/z)}[/tex]

Now, what is the region of convergence of a power series representation for that expression?

6. May 2, 2012 #5

gbu

How did I know to write it like that? It makes sense (and thanks a TON for your explanation of the annulus stuff)... I guess I just don't see how you go from the z+2/z-1 to the proper representation for the right series "on demand" so to speak.

7. May 2, 2012 #6

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Some general guidelines:

You know that if your regions of convergence are centered at the origin, you will need a series that is centered at the origin, so you will have powers of z. More generally, for a region of convergence centered at a point w, you will need powers of (z-w).

If the series has positive powers, i.e. z^n where n is positive, then z can't be too large, so you know the region of convergence will be inside a circle, not outside of it.

Conversely, if the series has negative powers, i.e. z^(-n) for positive n, then z can't be too small, so the region of convergence will be outside a circle.

Then you just need to "pattern match" your given function to standard functions whose series expansions you know.

Taking the simplest example, f(z) = 1/(1-z), we know that

[tex]\frac{1}{1-z} = 1 + z + z^2 + \ldots = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}z^n[/tex]

which converges inside the unit circle. If I need convergence outside the unit circle, I know I'll need powers of z^(-1), so I need to manipulate the function accordingly:

[tex]\frac{1}{1-z} = \frac{z^{-1}}{z^{-1} - 1} = -z^{-1} \frac{1}{1 - z^{-1}}[/tex]

which equals

[tex]-z^{-1}(1 + z^{-1} + z^{-2} + \ldots) = -z^{-1}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}z^{-n} = -\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}z^{-n}[/tex]

which converges outside the unit circle.

8. May 2, 2012 #7

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

P.S. If everything I wrote in the previous post makes sense, the next step would be to try a slightly different function and see if you can manipulate it into a suitable form for expressing as a series. I suggest trying something like

[tex]f(z) = \frac{1}{z + 2}[/tex]

If you get stuck or want to check your answer, post your work here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook