1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Limit

1. Jan 25, 2012 #1
    Trying to remember how to use the definition of a complex limit.

[tex]\lim_{\Delta z\to 0}\frac{f(z+h)-f(z)}{\Delta z}[/tex]

[tex]f(z) = |z| = \sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/tex]

[tex]\Delta z = \Delta x + i\Delta y[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{\Delta x\to 0}\frac{\sqrt{(x+\Delta x)^2+(y+\Delta y)^2}- \sqrt{x^2+y^2}}{\Delta x}[/tex]

Is that correct? Or do I just have the delta x with the x? Or is there a x + delta x and y + delta y?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, that is almost the correct formula. The only things missing are that you need to take the limit as both [itex]\Delta x[/itex], [itex]\Delta y[/itex] go to 0 and the denominator must be [itex]\sqrt{(\Delta x)^2+ (/Delta y)^2}[/itex], the distance from [itex](\Delta x, \Delta y)[/itex] to (0, 0), and you have to take the limit without assuming a relation between [itex]\Delta x[/itex] and [itex]\Delta y[/itex]. Strictly spealing, we take the limit as the point [itex](\Delta x, \Delta y)[/itex] goes to (0, 0) along any possible path in two dimensions.

4. Jan 25, 2012 #3
    So the denominator is [tex]\Delta x + \Delta y[/tex] then?

5. Jan 25, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Sorry, you posted while I was editing my post- the denominator should be the distance from the point [itex](\Delta x, \Delta y)[/itex] to (0, 0):
    [tex]\sqrt{(\Delta x)^2+ (\Delta y)^2}[/tex]

That is difficult to calculate. What is often done is to asssume that the function is differentable so that the limits along, say, parallel to the real axis or parallel to the imaginary axis are sufficient.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook