1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Limits

1. Jan 21, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Compute limit as n-> infinity of

a)zn = exp(in^2)/(1+in^2)

b)zn = 1/(n + i)

2. Relevant equations

?

3. The attempt at a solution

These are 2 examples of a series of questions i have to complete. I can see that i need to calculate the limit for a complex function but i have not come accross this in lectures yet. Could you please point me in the right direction, maybe i need to use a certain rule/law/method?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2008 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hint: look at the moduli first, that is, consider
    [tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} |z_n|[/tex]

4. Jan 21, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Finding the limit in the complex numbers is pretty much the same as real numbers. As compuchip said, you need to look at [itex]|z_n|= \sqrt{(x_n)^2+ (y_n)^2}[/itex]. Although it won't give you the limit exactly, you should try calculating a few terms of the sequence to get an idea of what's happening. Have you done that?

5. Jan 24, 2008 #4
    should i be using the subtitution of exp(ia) = cos a - isin a ? or is there a better method?

6. Jan 24, 2008 #5
    yeah - i know that it tends to 0 - but im not too sure about what i use for the xn and yn parts and what that eventually gives me - if i can use exp(ia) = cos a - isin a i think i have crcked it?

7. Jan 25, 2008 #6

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can always write it out in real and imaginary parts and notice that
    [tex]\lim_{z \to 0} f(z) = \left( \lim_{z \to 0} \operatorname{Re}(f(z)) \right) + \mathrm{i} \left( \lim_{z \to 0} \operatorname{Im}(f(z)) \right)[/tex].
    Then you can indeed use exp(i a) = cos(a) + i sin(a) for the first one, and use that the real and imaginary parts of a fraction can be determined by writing
    [tex]\frac{\alpha}{z} = \frac{\alpha}{z} \frac{\bar z}{\bar z}[/tex]
    with [itex]\bar z[/itex] the complex conjugate of z.

So if you think you have a), can you show us your work?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?