Complex-Linear Matrices and C-Linear Transformations .... Tapp, Propostion 2.5 .... ....

In summary: I hope this helps clarify the questions you had about Proposition 2.5 and the related definitions and notation. Please let me know if you have any further questions or need additional clarification. Happy studying!In summary, Proposition 2.5 states that for a complex-linear transformation B \in M_{2n} ( \mathbb{R} ), there exists a matrix A \in M_n ( \mathbb{C} ) such that the given diagram commutes. This can be shown by representing B as a real matrix and using the properties of linear transformations.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Kristopher Tapp's book: Matrix Groups for Undergraduates.

I am currently focused on and studying Section 1 in Chapter2, namely:

"1. Complex Matrices as Real Matrices".I need help in fully understanding Tapp's Proposition 2.5.

Proposition 2.5 and some comments following it read as follows:
View attachment 9575
My questions are as follows:Question 1

In the above text from Tapp we read the following:

" ... ... Suppose that \(\displaystyle B \in M_{2n} ( \mathbb{R} )\) is complex-linear, so there is a matrix \(\displaystyle A \in M_n ( \mathbb{C} )\) for which the following diagram commutes ... ... "

My question is as follows:

Given that \(\displaystyle B \in M_{2n} ( \mathbb{R} )\) is complex-linear, how, exactly do we know that there exists a matrix \(\displaystyle A \in M_n ( \mathbb{C} )\) for which the given diagram commutes ... ... ?
Question 2

In the above text from Tapp we read the following:

" ... ... so the composition of the three downward arrows on the right must equal \(\displaystyle R_{ \rho ( -A ) } = R_{-B}\) ... ... "My question is as follows:

Why exactly does \(\displaystyle R_{ \rho ( -A ) } = R_{-B}\) ... ...?
Help will be much appreciated ... ...

Peter=============================================================================== \(\displaystyle R_A\) is defined in the following text ...View attachment 9576
For readers of the above post to understand the definitions, notation and context of the questions it would help for readers to have access to the text at the start of Chapter 2 ... so I am providing that text ... as follows ... View attachment 9577
View attachment 9578
View attachment 9579
View attachment 9580
View attachment 9581
Hope that helps ...

Peter

Attachments

• Tapp - Proposition 2.5 ... .png
    Tapp - Proposition 2.5 ... .png
    15.9 KB · Views: 65
  • Tapp - Defn 1.9 & Defn 1.10 ... .png
    Tapp - Defn 1.9 & Defn 1.10 ... .png
    25.2 KB · Views: 73
  • Tapp - 1 - Start of Chapter 2 ... PART 1 ... .png
    Tapp - 1 - Start of Chapter 2 ... PART 1 ... .png
    21.8 KB · Views: 64
  • Tapp - 2 - Start of Chapter 2 ... PART 2 ... .png
    Tapp - 2 - Start of Chapter 2 ... PART 2 ... .png
    33 KB · Views: 64
  • Tapp - 3 - Start of Chapter 2 ... PART 3 ... ... .png
    Tapp - 3 - Start of Chapter 2 ... PART 3 ... ... .png
    26.2 KB · Views: 65
  • Tapp - 4 - Start of Chapter 2 ... PART 4 ... ... .png
    Tapp - 4 - Start of Chapter 2 ... PART 4 ... ... .png
    28.5 KB · Views: 61
  • Tapp - 5 - Start of Chapter 2 ... PART 5 ... ... .png
    Tapp - 5 - Start of Chapter 2 ... PART 5 ... ... .png
    11 KB · Views: 67
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Peter,

Thank you for your questions regarding Proposition 2.5 in Kristopher Tapp's book. I am happy to assist you in fully understanding this proposition.

In response to your first question, we can show that there exists a matrix A \in M_n ( \mathbb{C} ) for which the given diagram commutes by using the fact that B \in M_{2n} ( \mathbb{R} ) is complex-linear. This means that B is a linear transformation that preserves the complex structure of \mathbb{C}^n. In other words, B maps complex numbers to complex numbers. Now, since B is a linear transformation, we can represent it as a matrix in the standard basis of \mathbb{C}^n. This matrix will have complex entries, but we can also view it as a real matrix in M_{2n} ( \mathbb{R} ) by considering the real and imaginary parts of each complex entry as separate entries in the matrix. Therefore, there exists a matrix A \in M_n ( \mathbb{C} ) such that B = R_A, where R_A is the matrix representation of A in the standard basis of \mathbb{C}^n. This is how we know that the given diagram commutes.

As for your second question, we can see that R_{ \rho ( -A ) } = R_{-B} by considering the definition of R_A and the fact that B = R_A. R_A is defined as the matrix representation of the linear transformation T_A : \mathbb{C}^n \to \mathbb{C}^n in the standard basis of \mathbb{C}^n. Therefore, R_A is the matrix representation of T_A with respect to the standard basis. Similarly, R_{-B} is the matrix representation of the linear transformation T_{-B} : \mathbb{C}^n \to \mathbb{C}^n in the standard basis. Since B = R_A, we can substitute B for R_A in T_{-B} to get T_{-B} = T_{-R_A}. Then, using the properties of linear transformations, we can show that T_{-R_A} = T_{ \rho ( -A ) }. Therefore, R_{ \rho ( -A ) } = R_{-B}.

1. What are complex-linear matrices and C-linear transformations?

Complex-linear matrices are matrices with complex entries, where the entries can be represented as a combination of a real and imaginary part. C-linear transformations are linear transformations that preserve the complex structure of a vector space, meaning they map complex numbers to complex numbers.

2. What is Proposition 2.5 in relation to complex-linear matrices and C-linear transformations?

Proposition 2.5 is a theorem that states that the composition of two C-linear transformations is also a C-linear transformation. This means that if two linear transformations preserve the complex structure of a vector space individually, then their composition will also preserve the complex structure.

3. How do complex-linear matrices and C-linear transformations relate to quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, complex numbers are used to represent the state of a quantum system. C-linear transformations are used to describe how the state of a quantum system changes over time. This is because C-linear transformations preserve the complex structure of a vector space, making them useful for studying quantum systems.

4. What is the difference between a complex-linear matrix and a real-linear matrix?

The main difference is that a complex-linear matrix has complex entries, while a real-linear matrix has real entries. This means that a complex-linear matrix can represent transformations that involve complex numbers, while a real-linear matrix can only represent transformations involving real numbers.

5. How are C-linear transformations applied in engineering and computer science?

C-linear transformations are used in engineering and computer science to model and manipulate complex systems. For example, in signal processing, C-linear transformations are used to analyze and manipulate signals that involve complex numbers. In image processing, C-linear transformations are used to transform and manipulate images in the complex domain.