1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex loading systems.

1. Nov 11, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I missed a day at college last week when i was off sick due to tonsilitis. I recieved some homework today and it is going to be similar to a test next week. I really need to know how to do this and the lecturer has not been very helpful either.

A) I have a rectangular cross-section bar that is, 100mm x 40mm square and 500mm long. This is subjected to an axial tensile load of 210kN.

From this information i need to determine.
    1) The axial strain.
    2) The lateral strain.
    3) The changes in cross sectional dimensions.

The material has a modulus of elasticity 80GPa, and poissons ratio of 0.25.

B) A bar of circular cross-section is subjected to a tensile load of 210kN, which is within the elastic range. The bar is made from a steel with 80GPa and Poissons ration = 0.25, it has a diameter of 25mm and 0.8m long. Determine the extension of the bar and the decrease in diameter..

Please give me as much help as you can as i am finding this very confusing, all help is appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

4. Nov 11, 2008 #3

Homework Helper

5. Nov 17, 2008 #4
    Thanks for the help, i should be able to make an attempt now at least. :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?