1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex loci problem

1. Aug 20, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given that a complex number, [tex]w[/tex], is such that [tex]\pi / 2< arg(z) < \pi[/tex],

Sketch the locus described by [tex] arg(z+w^*)=arg(-iw)[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Okay, so I attempted this question and got completely confused. I am thinking that the answer is to shade the first and fourth quadrant completely, that's an intuition (although there can be an explanation for this intuition, but I have no idea how to sketch it out online, sorry). But generally, how should I go about attempting this question? Over here, [tex]w[/tex] is defined by a range instead of any distinct line, thus I am getting the problem of carrying this definition over to my solution of the problem.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2007 #2
    By the constraints of the problem, the locus exists in the second quadrant such that the angle it makes at any point with the x axis is equal to the angle the complex number -iw makes with the x axis. If w is inclined at an angle [tex]\theta[/tex], then -iw is inclined to the x axis at an angle [tex]-(\theta +\frac{\pi}{2})[/tex].
  4. Aug 26, 2007 #3
    Yes, so what I was thinking is that is the answer "shade the entire first and fourth quadrant?"
  5. Aug 26, 2007 #4
    Not the fourth quadrant, because the argument is restricted from pi/2 to pi. Whoa... I wrote a whole post thats missing...basically, it came out to be a straight line segment with the slope tan(3pi/2+theta). y=tan(3pi/2+theta)x is what finally came out. This has to be restricted to the second quadrant, hence its a line segment and not a whole line. Use the eular form of i to get the angle, and since its -(theta+pi/2), the final angle is tan(pi-(-(theta+pi/2))).
  6. Aug 27, 2007 #5
    Why is it only a line segment instead of an area? Theta takes values between pi and pi/2 isn't it?
  7. Aug 30, 2007 #6
    Its a line segment because the equation describes a certain family of lines with a given slope. The position of the line may vary, but that doesnt make it an area.
  8. Aug 31, 2007 #7
    Doesn't the varying of the line make it an area? As in, how do you describe the locus by drawing?
  9. Aug 31, 2007 #8
    are you sure its [tex]-(\theta +\frac{\pi}{2})[/tex] and not [tex]\theta -\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]?
  10. Aug 31, 2007 #9
    Yeah. Im sure. There's a minus sign to consider.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?