Comparing log(i^2) and 2*log(i)

In summary, the two expressions log(i^2) and 2*log(i) differ in the placement of the logarithm function, but are equivalent in terms of mathematical operation. Comparing these two expressions can help in understanding the properties of logarithms and simplifying expressions or solving equations involving logarithms. Both expressions can be simplified further by applying the properties of logarithms. There is no specific situation where one expression would be preferred over the other.
neginf

Homework Statement

Show log(i^2) and 2*log(i) have different sets of values.

Homework Equations

log z=ln|z|+i*arg z

The Attempt at a Solution

log(i^2) = ln|i^2| + i*arg(i^2)
= ln|-1| + i*(pi + 2*n*pi)
= 0 + i*pi*(1 + 2*n)
= i*pi*(1+2*n)

2*log(i) = 2*(ln|i| + i*arg(i))
= 2*(ln|1| + i*(pi/2 + 2*n*pi))
= 2*(0 + i*(pi/2 + 2*n*pi ))
= i*pi*(1+4*n)

If this isn't right, what did I miss ?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's correct.

Thank you very much.

1. What is the difference between log(i^2) and 2*log(i)?

The main difference between these two expressions is the placement of the logarithm function. In log(i^2), the logarithm is applied to the squared value of i, while in 2*log(i), the logarithm is applied to the value of i first, and then multiplied by 2.

2. Which expression is equivalent to the other?

Both expressions are equivalent, as log(i^2) and 2*log(i) represent the same mathematical operation. However, the values obtained from each expression may differ due to the different placement of the logarithm function.

3. What is the significance of comparing these two expressions?

Comparing log(i^2) and 2*log(i) can help in understanding the properties of logarithms and how they affect mathematical operations. It can also be useful in simplifying expressions or solving equations involving logarithms.

4. Can these expressions be simplified further?

Yes, these expressions can be simplified further by applying the properties of logarithms. For example, log(i^2) can be simplified to 2*log(i) by using the power rule, which states that log(a^b) = b*log(a).

5. In what situations would one expression be preferred over the other?

There is no specific situation where one expression would be preferred over the other, as they are equivalent. However, depending on the context of the problem, one expression may be easier to work with or provide a more simplified solution.