Taylor Series of Log(z) around z=-1+i

In summary: So, it's almost right, eh? Not that this is what your instructor wants you to do, but I could've told you that by inspection. You can't just replace the 1+i by -1+i in the series. It's a difference of squares. The 1+i is in the denominator and the -1+i is in the numerator. You have to rationalize the denoninator. The result is this: [tex]\frac{z+1+i}{2}[/tex] and the series becomes [tex]\frac{1}{2}log(2)+\frac{3\pi i}{4}-\Sigma (\frac {-1+i}{2})^{n
HACR

Homework Statement

Find the taylor series of Log(z) around z=-1+i.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I have for the first few terms as
[tex]
\frac{1}{2}*log(2)+\frac{3\pi i}{4}+\frac{z+1-i}{-1+i}-\frac{2(z+1-i)^{2}}{(-1+i)^{2}}+\frac{3(z+1-i)^{3}}{(-1+i)^{3}}-
[/tex]

But the correct series seems to be
[tex]
\frac{1}{2}log(2)+\frac{3\pi i}{4}-\Sigma (\frac {-1+i}{2})^{n}*({z+1-i})^{n}
[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint:
[tex]
\frac{d}{d z} \mathrm{Log}(z) = \frac{1}{z}
[/tex]

HACR said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

[tex]
\frac{1}{2}*log(2)+\frac{3\pi i}{4}+\frac{z+1-i}{-1+i}-\frac{2(z+1-i)^{2}}{(-1+i)^{2}}+\frac{3(z+1-i)^{3}}{(-1+i)^{3}}-
[/tex]

But the correct series seems to be
[tex]
[/tex]
Rationalize the denominator of [itex]\displaystyle \frac{1}{-1+i}\,.[/itex]

HACR;3683344 But the correct series seems to be [tex said:
[/tex]

Had some trouble with this. Sorry if you saw my earlier post but anyway, try and learn how to check these things directly. That's easy: plot Log(z) and your series, say 20 terms or so, the imaginary parts for example. Superimpose them. If they agree, then your series is likely correct. I don't think yours is although you've not stated what the index starts at but you run it if you can to check it like the plot below. Here's the Mathtematica code. See that lil' red thing in there? Yeah, that's what the series should do if it's correct.

Code:
pp1 = ParametricPlot3D[
     {Re[z], Im[z], Im[myseries[z]]} /. 
       z -> z0 + r*Exp[I*t], {r, 0, 0.9}, 
     {t, 0, 2*Pi}, PlotStyle -> Red]

pp2 = ParametricPlot3D[
     {Re[z], Im[z], Im[Log[z]]} /. z -> r*Exp[I*t], 
     {r, 0.01, 2}, {t, -Pi, Pi}]

Show[{pp2, pp1}, PlotRange -> All]

Attachments

• log power series.jpg
    log power series.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 405
Last edited:
HACR said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

[tex]
[/tex]
If you can't figure out your error from the hints above, show us how you got this result.

Thanks yes the index 2 and 3s should've been downstairs in fact. and rationalizing the -1+i terms do converge to the right series.

What is a Taylor Series?

A Taylor Series is a mathematical representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms that are calculated from the values of the function's derivatives at a single point.

How is a Taylor Series used in mathematics?

A Taylor Series is used to approximate a function at a specific point by using a polynomial of increasing degree. This allows for more accurate calculations and simplifies complex functions.

What is the Taylor Series of Log(z) around z=-1+i?

The Taylor Series of Log(z) around z=-1+i is Log(z) = (z+1-i) - (z+1-i)^2/2 + (z+1-i)^3/3 - (z+1-i)^4/4 + .... This can also be written as Log(z) = ∑n=1 (-1)n+1(z+1-i)n/n.

What is the convergence of the Taylor Series of Log(z) around z=-1+i?

The Taylor Series of Log(z) around z=-1+i converges for all complex numbers z within a distance of 1 from the point z=-1+i. This means that the series converges for all complex numbers z within the circle of radius 1 centered at z=-1+i.

How is the Taylor Series of Log(z) around z=-1+i used in applications?

The Taylor Series of Log(z) around z=-1+i is used in applications that involve complex analysis, such as in the fields of physics, engineering, and economics. It is also used in numerical methods to solve complex mathematical problems.