Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Log?

1. Sep 9, 2008 #1

tgt

Would it be okay to redefine the complex definition of Log and define it for example C\[0,infinity)?

I guess then you would have Log z = log |z| + i Arg(z)

where -Pi<=Arg(z)<Pi

Everything would work fine?

But then you can't have Log 5 for example which would be very counter unintuitive.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2008 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Why can't you have Log 5? I see no problems with that. You can redefine anything you want - how useful it ends up being in its applications is another question though.

4. Sep 10, 2008 #3

tgt

To have a Log function defined on the complex plane, you need a branch cut somewhere. Exactly where is arbitary right? So what happens if you choose the positive real line? You'd lose Log (r) for r in the positive reals, including Log(5).

5. Sep 10, 2008 #4

Gib Z

Homework Helper

6. Sep 10, 2008 #5

tgt

It should be assuming log(|x|) is the logarithm of the reals. I'm just saying since the branch cut can be applied anywhere, what happens if we apply it on the real line? Then we don't have Log(5). Then that wouldn't be a good definition would it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?