1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Logarithm Calculation

1. Nov 4, 2014 #1
    Hello everyone,

I am asked to calculate ##\log (e^{1+2i})##, and I would appreciate it if someone could verify my calculation..

My textbook defines ##\log z## as ##\log z = \ln |z| + i \arg z##.

##\log (e^{1+2i}) = \ln |e^{1+2i}| + i \arg(e^{1+2i}) \iff##

##\log (e^{1 + 2i}) = \ln|e e^{2i}| + i \arg (e e^{2i}) \iff##

##\\log (e^{1+2i}) = \ln e + i \arg (e e^{2i}) \iff##

##\log (e^{1+2i}) = 1 + i \arg (e e^{2i})##

Here is the step that I am not entirely certain about. I know that ##e^{2i}## is the exponential representation of the complex point whose angle is ##2##. But I am wondering, would the coefficient ##e## just represent the distance of the complex point from the origin? More generally, the complex exponential function ##e^z## is defined as ##e^z = e^x e^{iy}##, and so ##e^x## would represent the distance of the complex point ##e^{iy}##?

If this is so, then the answer would seem to be

##\log (e^{1+2i}) = 1 + i(2 + 2 n \pi)##

Is this correct?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2014 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, but it is rather a long way about. You can straight away write down that one value of ln(ez) is z. The only question is what other values are there. If w is another value then w = ln(ez). Exponentiate both sides and see what develops.

4. Nov 5, 2014 #3
    I am not certain I see where the quantity ##\ln e^z## arises. If recall correctly, my professor said that we do not use the natural logarithm when dealing with complex numbers.

5. Nov 5, 2014 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

OK, I see - you have to start with the definition you quoted, and your method is fine.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted