Calculating Complex Logarithms: A Step-by-Step Guide

But introducing ##e^z## is not necessary.In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the logarithm of a complex number using the definition of ##\log z = \ln |z| + i \arg z##. The steps for calculating ##\log (e^{1+2i})## are shown and a question is raised about the coefficient ##e## representing the distance of the complex point from the origin. The answer is found to be ##1 + i(2 + 2 n \pi)## and it is noted that this can also be found by directly using the definition of ##\log z##.
Bashyboy
Hello everyone,

I am asked to calculate ##\log (e^{1+2i})##, and I would appreciate it if someone could verify my calculation..

My textbook defines ##\log z## as ##\log z = \ln |z| + i \arg z##.

##\log (e^{1+2i}) = \ln |e^{1+2i}| + i \arg(e^{1+2i}) \iff##

##\log (e^{1 + 2i}) = \ln|e e^{2i}| + i \arg (e e^{2i}) \iff##

##\\log (e^{1+2i}) = \ln e + i \arg (e e^{2i}) \iff##

##\log (e^{1+2i}) = 1 + i \arg (e e^{2i})##

Here is the step that I am not entirely certain about. I know that ##e^{2i}## is the exponential representation of the complex point whose angle is ##2##. But I am wondering, would the coefficient ##e## just represent the distance of the complex point from the origin? More generally, the complex exponential function ##e^z## is defined as ##e^z = e^x e^{iy}##, and so ##e^x## would represent the distance of the complex point ##e^{iy}##?

If this is so, then the answer would seem to be

##\log (e^{1+2i}) = 1 + i(2 + 2 n \pi)##

Is this correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:
Hello everyone,

I am asked to calculate ##\log (e^{1+2i})##, and I would appreciate it if someone could verify my calculation..

My textbook defines ##\log z## as ##\log z = \ln |z| + i \arg z##.

##\log (e^{1+2i}) = \ln |e^{1+2i}| + i \arg(e^{1+2i}) \iff##

##\log (e^{1 + 2i}) = \ln|e e^{2i}| + i \arg (e e^{2i}) \iff##

##\\log (e^{1+2i}) = \ln e + i \arg (e e^{2i}) \iff##

##\log (e^{1+2i}) = 1 + i \arg (e e^{2i})##

Here is the step that I am not entirely certain about. I know that ##e^{2i}## is the exponential representation of the complex point whose angle is ##2##. But I am wondering, would the coefficient ##e## just represent the distance of the complex point from the origin? More generally, the complex exponential function ##e^z## is defined as ##e^z = e^x e^{iy}##, and so ##e^x## would represent the distance of the complex point ##e^{iy}##?

If this is so, then the answer would seem to be

##\log (e^{1+2i}) = 1 + i(2 + 2 n \pi)##

Is this correct?
Yes, but it is rather a long way about. You can straight away write down that one value of ln(ez) is z. The only question is what other values are there. If w is another value then w = ln(ez). Exponentiate both sides and see what develops.

I am not certain I see where the quantity ##\ln e^z## arises. If recall correctly, my professor said that we do not use the natural logarithm when dealing with complex numbers.

Bashyboy said:
I am not certain I see where the quantity ##\ln e^z## arises. If recall correctly, my professor said that we do not use the natural logarithm when dealing with complex numbers.
OK, I see - you have to start with the definition you quoted, and your method is fine.

What is a complex logarithm?

A complex logarithm is a mathematical function that maps complex numbers to other complex numbers. It is the inverse of the exponential function and is usually denoted as Log(z).

How is a complex logarithm calculated?

To calculate a complex logarithm, we use the formula Log(z) = ln|z| + iθ, where z is a complex number in the form a + bi, |z| is the modulus (or absolute value) of z, and θ is the argument (or angle) of z.

What is the principal value of a complex logarithm?

The principal value of a complex logarithm is the logarithm with the smallest positive argument. It is usually denoted as Log0(z) and is the most commonly used form of a complex logarithm.

Can a complex logarithm have multiple values?

Yes, a complex logarithm can have an infinite number of values, as there are infinitely many ways to express the argument θ in the formula Log(z) = ln|z| + iθ. However, the principal value is the most commonly used and accepted value.

What are some applications of complex logarithms?

Complex logarithms are used in various branches of science and engineering, such as in signal processing, control systems, and quantum mechanics. They also have applications in cryptography, where they are used to generate secure keys for encryption and decryption.