1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex logaritm question

1. Sep 25, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find where the function: [tex]f(z)=Log(z-2i+1)[/tex] is analytic and where it is differentiable.

2. Relevant equations

Cauchy-Riemann equations?

3. The attempt at a solution

Here's where I am so far:
    [tex]Log(z-2i+1)=Log((x+1)+i(y-2))=ln(\sqrt{(x+1)^{2}+(y-2)^{2}})+iArg(z)[/tex]

since I'm only looking at the principal value of the logarithm, [tex]0<\theta\leq2\pi[/tex] (this is the text book's choice of principal arguement), then
    [tex]ln(\sqrt{(x+1)^{2}+(y-2)^{2}})[/tex] will be discontinuous at [tex]x=-1[/tex] and [tex]y=2[/tex]... and the function is undefined everywhere on the positive real axis (because of the choice of argument). So, [tex]f(z)[/tex] is non-differentiable at [tex]z=-1+2i[/tex] and everywhere in the positive direction on the real axis extending from the point [tex]z=-1[/tex], because that is the "center" of my mapping.

Now, I'm not sure how to show that it is differentiable everywhere else... Am I supposed to apply the cauchy-riemann equations to [tex]u=ln(\sqrt{(x+1)^{2}+(y-2)^{2}})[/tex] and [tex]v=Arg(z)[/tex]? If so, how do I take a partial derivative of [tex]Arg(z)[/tex]?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you know where Log(z) is analytic? I think it's everywhere except along the branch cut you use to make it well defined, right? Then just translate by 2i-1. I don't think you need to get carried away with details.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
  4. Sep 25, 2007 #3
    i was thinking something along the lines of using [tex]Arg(z)=arctan(\frac{y-2}{x+1})[/tex] but I'm unsure how to define the inverse tangent... but if I let [tex]Arg(z)=2arctan(\frac{y-2}{x+1})+C[/tex], where C is an arbitrary constant, then the cauchy-riemann equations will be satisfied... not sure why yet... my trig is not good....

but anyway, yeah, i like your way better.... you're right in that it's probably sufficient for this excercise...

thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?