1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex logs

1. Oct 23, 2006 #1
    Hi, I'm kinda confused with the following, I must be looking at it wrong

Determinie all values of log(z) and Log(z):

a.) -9+2i

im confused when it comes to the angle. It is going to be in the form [tex]re^{i \theta}[/tex]. where [tex]r= \sqrt{85}[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

Know that [tex]\log (z)= \mbox{Log} (z) +2k\pi i[/tex] for [tex]k\in\mathbb{Z}[/tex] is the multivalued logarithm function, and that [tex]\mbox{Log} (z)= \mbox{Log} |z| i\Arg (z)+2k\pi i[/tex] is the principal branch of the multivalued function [tex]\log (z)[/tex].

Now if [tex]z=re^{i\theta}[/tex] then [tex]\log (z) =\log (re^{i\theta}= \mbox{Log} (r) + i\theta + 2k\pi i[/tex] and hence for [tex]z=-9+2i[/tex] we have [tex]r=\sqrt{85}[/tex] and [tex]\theta = \tan ^{-1} \left( -\frac{9}{2}\right)[/tex] so that

[tex]\log (-9+2i) = \mbox{Log} \sqrt{85} + i \tan ^{-1} \left( -\frac{9}{2}\right) + 2k\pi i, \mbox{ for } k\in\mathbb{Z}[/tex]

is all values of [tex]\log (-9+2i)[/tex] and [tex]\mbox{Log} (-9+2i)[/tex] is the principal value of [tex]\log (-9+2i)[/tex] (so put [tex]k=0[/tex] in the above to get

[tex]\mbox{Log}(-9+2i) = \mbox{Log} \sqrt{85} + i \tan ^{-1} \left( -\frac{9}{2}\right)[/tex].
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?