Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Mapping Linearity Test

1. Jul 13, 2014 #1
    Hello,

Given the complex linear mapping: T(z) = Az + B where A is real and B is complex. However trying to show that T(a * z1 + z2) = a * T(z1) + T(z2) does not work which implies the mapping is not linear??? Why does not this rule apply here???

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2014 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The map you posted is not a linear map. It's only linear if ##B=0##. The map you posted is called an affine map.

That said, I can probably imagine some books which define "linear map" somewhat different than usual.

4. Jul 13, 2014 #3
    I see now. Well I found this in the K. Stroud's Advanced Engineering Mathematics on complex analysis. The same transformation when applied to a line, the image is another line in the w-plane, but not sure if the same applies to any other shape.

5. Jul 14, 2014 #4

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Note that while a Real-valued linear map y=kx only scales , a complex-valued linear map both scales and rotates (e.g., multiply using polars); Complex lines, being 2-dimensional, are Real planes: notice that , for fixed Complex a, the set { ##{az: z \in \mathbb C}##} is the entire complex plane .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook