1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Mapping Proof

1. Mar 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let a be a complex number for which Im(a) ≠ 0, and f(z) = (z + conj(a))/(z + a).

Prove f(z) maps the real axis onto the circle lwl = 1.

2. The attempt at a solution

I wrote out f(z) in an a+bi for and then with the Im(a) ≠ 0 I set the equation as

f(a+bi) = (a+a0-ib)/(a+a0+ib).

I made a substitution let d = (a+a0+ib) and conj(d) = (a+a0-ib)

This gave me d/conj(d). I have exhausted all of the identities I could remember/find and I see no path leading this line of thinking to a circle.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2012 #2
    If [itex]z = a + bi, \quad a,b \in \mathbb{R}[/itex], then what is the formula for all the points on the real axis in terms of z? Plug that into f(z) and argue it is the form of a circle.

Edit: I just realized there is a point a in the problem, perhaps it would be better to write out [itex]z = x + yi, \quad x,y \in \mathbb{R}[/itex]

Edit2: This turns out to be a big algebra problem once you plug in for z. It works out nicely so don't get scared by all of the factors that appear.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  4. Mar 13, 2012 #3
    I thought I had gotten to the point of it being a big algebra problem but the wall I am hitting is what to do to it. Is there some way to connect conj(z)/z to the unit circle?

5. Mar 13, 2012 #4
    I'm not sure how you got [itex]\frac{\bar{z}}{z}[/itex]. Can you show your work?

Can you answer the first part of my question:

If [itex]z=x+yi, \quad x,y \in \mathbb{R}[/itex], then what is the formula for all the points on the real axis in terms of z? Plug that into [itex]f(z)[/itex] and argue it is the form of a circle.

6. Mar 13, 2012 #5
    I will try.

the iy term is zero because the inputs are on the real axis.

f(x+iy) = x+a0-ib0/x+a0+ib0

Let x+a0+ib0 be d
    Let x+a0-ib0 be conj(d)

then I end up with conj(d)/d

if there is an error in the logic I apologize. I am fairly new to this subject matter.

7. Apr 13, 2012 #6
    Okay, first of all. I know it's too late to answer but I believe I got it.

Let z=x+iy,a=p+iq and w=u+iv
    But on a real line, z=x (y=0 is the line)
    Hence z = x
    w=u+iv=f(z)=f(x+i0)=f(x)

=[itex]\frac{x+p-iq}{x+p+iq}[/itex]

Now as you can see (and also prove) that |w|=1 no matter what x,p and q are.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook