1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex mapping

1. Apr 28, 2006 #1
    Hi everyone - I'm sure there's somebody here who can help with such a trivial question.

It's not a homework question before that's assumed - it's from a past exam paper, which I'm using for revision, sans answers.

It asks to describe, in the complex plane, the image of:

[tex] |z - 1| \leq 1 [/tex]

under the transformation

[tex] w = \frac{1}{z} [/tex]

Now, I found the answer to be:

[tex] Re(w) \leq \frac{1}{2} [/tex]

Is this correct?

Thanks for any help,

Simon.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Are you sure about the direction of that inequality? z= 1 itself satisfies |z-1|=0< 1 and z= 1 is mapped into w= 1 which has real part 1> 1/2.

4. Apr 28, 2006 #3
    Oops - no, I'm not sure of that at all - what I actually meant (of course!) was

[tex] Re(w) \geq \frac{1}{2} [/tex]

5. Apr 28, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yep. If z= x+ iy, then [itex]w= \frac{1}{z}= \frac{1}{x+iy}\frac{x-iy}{x-iy}= \frac{x-iy}{x^2+y^2}[/itex] which has real part [itex]\frac{x}{x^2+ y^2}[/itex].

If z satisfies [itex]|z-1|\le 1[/itex] then [itex]|z-1|= \sqrt{(x-1)^2+ y^2}\le 1[/itex] so [itex](x-1)^2+ y^2= x^2+ y^2- 2x+ 1\le 1[/itex].
    That is, [itex]x^2+ y^2\le 2x[/itex] and therefore [itex]\frac{x}{x^2+ y^2}\ge \frac{1}{2}[/itex].

6. Apr 28, 2006 #5
    Excellent - thanks very much for your help.

Simon.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?