1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex matrix factoring

1. Mar 15, 2009 #1
    *The subject should have been complex matrix square root.

I need to find one solution to the follow set of complex equations:

a*a+b*b = 1-K-K/2
    a*b+c*d=K/2
    c*c+d*d=1-K/2

where K is some real constant.

This is equivalent to finding a 2x2 complex matric M such that [tex]M^\dagger M=[/tex]

1-K-K/2, -K/2
    -K/2, 1-K/2

I can't seem to do get started.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Are you using "complex" as a synonym for "complicated?" These are not linear equations, but I don't see any evidence that they involve complex numbers.

Is there some reason you wrote the expression on the right side of the first equation as 1 - K - K/2 instead of 1 - 3K/2?

Also, I don't see any connection to matrices.

Your system of three equations is in four variables, so at least one variable can be set arbitrarily. You might start by setting a to zero, and seeing what you come up with for b, c, and d.

4. Mar 15, 2009 #3
    "Complex" as in complex numbers. a* is complex conjugation. I realize now that it might have been confused with multiplication.

5. Mar 16, 2009 #4
    Here is as close as I can get to your equations

[a b][a c]
    [c d][b d]

a*a+b*b=1-k/2
    a*c+b*d=k/2
    c*a+d*b=k/2
    c*c+d*d=1-k/2

Lets assume a lower triangle solution (AKA c=0)

|d|=sqrt(1-K/2)
    |b|=(k/2)/sqrt(1-K/2)
    angle(d)=angle(b)
    |a|=sqrt(1-k/2-(k^2/4)/(1-K/2))

Now I think that all solutions can be found by multiplying a particular solution by all possible orthonormal transforms.

6. Mar 16, 2009 #5
    What's an "orthonormal transform"? Do you mean unitary matrices?

7. Mar 17, 2009 #6
    Yes. I guess I should say unitary matrix as according to Wikipedia it is more general.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook