Finding a Complex Matrix Square Root for a Set of Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a solution to a set of complex equations involving a real constant K. There is a question about the choice of notation in one of the equations, as well as a suggestion to approach the problem by setting one variable to a specific value. The conversation then delves into the use of complex numbers and unitary matrices to find all possible solutions.
Dragonfall
*The subject should have been complex matrix square root.

I need to find one solution to the follow set of complex equations:

a*a+b*b = 1-K-K/2
a*b+c*d=K/2
c*c+d*d=1-K/2

where K is some real constant.

This is equivalent to finding a 2x2 complex matric M such that [tex]M^\dagger M=[/tex]

1-K-K/2, -K/2
-K/2, 1-K/2

I can't seem to do get started.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you using "complex" as a synonym for "complicated?" These are not linear equations, but I don't see any evidence that they involve complex numbers.

Is there some reason you wrote the expression on the right side of the first equation as 1 - K - K/2 instead of 1 - 3K/2?

Also, I don't see any connection to matrices.

Your system of three equations is in four variables, so at least one variable can be set arbitrarily. You might start by setting a to zero, and seeing what you come up with for b, c, and d.

"Complex" as in complex numbers. a* is complex conjugation. I realize now that it might have been confused with multiplication.

Dragonfall said:
*The subject should have been complex matrix square root.

I need to find one solution to the follow set of complex equations:

a*a+b*b = 1-K-K/2
a*b+c*d=K/2
c*c+d*d=1-K/2

Here is as close as I can get to your equations

[a b][a c]
[c d][b d]

a*a+b*b=1-k/2
a*c+b*d=k/2
c*a+d*b=k/2
c*c+d*d=1-k/2

Lets assume a lower triangle solution (AKA c=0)

|d|=sqrt(1-K/2)
|b|=(k/2)/sqrt(1-K/2)
angle(d)=angle(b)
|a|=sqrt(1-k/2-(k^2/4)/(1-K/2))

Now I think that all solutions can be found by multiplying a particular solution by all possible orthonormal transforms.

What's an "orthonormal transform"? Do you mean unitary matrices?

Dragonfall said:
What's an "orthonormal transform"? Do you mean unitary matrices?

Yes. I guess I should say unitary matrix as according to Wikipedia it is more general.

1. What is complex matrix factoring?

Complex matrix factoring is a mathematical process used to decompose a complex matrix into simpler matrices. It involves finding the factors of a complex matrix that, when multiplied together, produce the original matrix.

2. Why is complex matrix factoring important?

Complex matrix factoring is important because it allows for the simplification of complex mathematical problems. It also has numerous applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

3. What are the different methods of complex matrix factoring?

There are several methods for complex matrix factoring, including LU decomposition, QR decomposition, and eigenvalue decomposition. Each method has its own advantages and is suited for different types of matrices.

4. Can complex matrix factoring be used for data analysis?

Yes, complex matrix factoring can be used in data analysis to reduce the complexity of large datasets. It can also help identify patterns and relationships within the data.

5. What are some challenges associated with complex matrix factoring?

One of the main challenges of complex matrix factoring is finding the most efficient method for a given matrix. Additionally, even with advanced algorithms, factoring large and highly complex matrices can be computationally intensive.