1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex n-th roots

1. Jan 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose z is a nonzero complex number [itex]z=re^{i\theta}[/itex] . Show that z has exactly n distinct complex n-th roots given by [itex]r^{(1/n)}e^{i(2\pi k+\theta)/n}[/itex] for [itex]0\leq k\leq n-1[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution

My attempt: [itex]z^{n}=(r\cos\theta+i\sin\theta)^{n}=r^{m}(\cos \theta+i\sin\theta)^{n}=r^{m}(\cos(n \theta)+i\sin(n \theta))=r^{m}e^{i\theta n}[/itex] ...Not sure where to go from here.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2012 #2
    Note that you took [itex]z[/itex] to the [itex]n[/itex]th power; you don't want to do that. Rather, you want to find [itex]a\in\mathbb{C}[/itex] such that [itex]a^n=z[/itex] (see the difference?). To do this, put [itex]a[/itex] in exponential form also, i.e. write [itex]a=\rho e^{i\varphi}[/itex]. Now you have to find [itex]\rho[/itex] and [itex]\varphi[/itex] such that
    [tex]\rho^n(\cos(n\varphi)+i\sin(n\varphi))=r(\cos(θ)+i\sin(\theta)).[/tex]

4. Jan 19, 2012 #3
    So I take [itex]a=\rho e^{i\varphi} \rightarrow a^{n}=(\rho e^{i\varphi})^{n}=\rho^{n}(\cos(n\varphi)+i\sin(n \varphi)[/itex]. Let [itex]\rho^{n}=r so r^{1/n}=\rho[/itex]. Let [itex]n\varphi=\theta\rightarrow\varphi=\theta/n[/itex] . Then roots a have the form [itex]r^{1/n}(\cos(\frac{\theta}{n})+i\sin(\frac{\theta}{n})) \rightarrow r^{1/n}e^{i/n}[/itex]... not sure if I'm doing this the right way?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  5. Jan 19, 2012 #4
    That looks good (don't forget the [itex]i[/itex] in that last trigonometric expression for [itex]a[/itex]). Now you have one of the roots. To find the other [itex]n-1[/itex] of them, exploit the periodicity of the trigonometric or exponential functions. That is, either use [itex]e^{i(θ+2\pi)}=e^{iθ}[/itex] or use [itex]\sin(θ+2\pi)=\sin(θ)[/itex] and [itex]\cos(θ+2\pi)=\cos(θ)[/itex] (it really doesn't matter which you use). The key thing here is that, while [itex]\rho[/itex] must equal [itex]r^{1/n}[/itex], there is more than one angle that works; in fact, there are [itex]n[/itex] of them.

6. Jan 19, 2012 #5
    Thanks for the insight -- didn't really understand the intuition behind there being [itex]n[/itex] roots before your post. Just one more thing, when I use periodicity I get:

[itex]r^{1/n}(\cos(\frac{\theta}{n})+i\sin(\frac{\theta}{n}))=r^{1/n}(\cos(\frac{\theta}{n}+2\pi k)+i\sin(\frac{\theta}{n}+2\pi k))=r^{1/n}e^{i(\frac{\theta+2\pi kn}{n})}.[/itex]

The exponent in that last term is [itex]i(\frac{\theta+2\pi kn}{n})[/itex] where it should be [itex]i(\frac{\theta+2\pi k}{n})[/itex]. Since n is in N and k is in Z, can I define j in Z s.t. j = kn and use that?

7. Jan 19, 2012 #6
    You're right that the exponent should be [itex]i(θ+\frac{2πk}{n}).[/itex] The reason for this is that the angle in the exponent doesn't have to be a multiple of [itex]2\pi[/itex]. Rather, it is the angle times [itex]n[/itex] that should be a multiple of [itex]2\pi[/itex], so that when you raise [itex]a[/itex] to the [itex]n[/itex]th power, then you get that period which leaves your answer unchanged.

8. Jan 19, 2012 #7
    One final remark: to interpret all of this geometrically, notice that the n nth roots of z are the vertices of an n-gon in the complex plane, where the modulus of each point is r1/n. This is the way I usually think of the different possible angles.

9. Jan 19, 2012 #8
    Thanks A. Bahat!

10. Jan 20, 2012 #9
    You're welcome! Happy to help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook