1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex net force problem

1. Mar 3, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An 82 kg man drops from rest on a diving board 3 m above the surface of the water and comes to rest .55 s after reaching the water. What is the net force on the diver as he is brought to rest

2. Relevant equations
    FDt = mv F = mg v^2 = vi^2 = 2aDx Dx = 3m Dt = .33 s m = 82 kg g = 9.8m/s^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have plunged the numbers into the equation and i found the velocity to be 7.6 m/s. Also I am pretty sure mg= 803.6 N I am just super confused on how to find the net force please help! thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2016 #2
    What is the guy's velocity when he hits the water. What is his velocity when he stops. What is his average deceleration? What is the average net force exerted on him by the water?

4. Mar 3, 2016 #3
    I used the vf^2 = vi^2 + 2aDx to find that his velocity in the air is 7.6 m/s and I used the formula FDt = mv to calculate the force exerted by the water which I believe is 1133.1N . I know that he starts at rest and he eventually ends at rest however I don't know his average net force or deceleration. Sorry!

5. Mar 3, 2016 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

In the equation ##\int F.dt=m\Delta v##, why should F be specifically the force from the water? What other forces act?

6. Mar 3, 2016 #5
    If you're traveling 7.6 m/s, and 0.55 sec later, your speed is 0, what is your average acceleration?

7. Mar 3, 2016 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The way I read post #3, Haley is past that point.
    Indeed, has the answer but does not realise it.

8. Mar 3, 2016 #7
    Post #3: "I don't know his average net force or deceleration"

9. Mar 3, 2016 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, but:

10. Mar 3, 2016 #9
    I see what you're saying, but she really ought to know how acceleration is defined and how net force is defined (and why). It seems to me that she luckily pulled the impulse equation out of the air without really understanding what is happening at a fundamental level.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted