Solving Complex No. Query with Geometric Series and Double Angle Formulae

• Thread starter sachi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complex
In summary, the first two parts of the conversation discuss how to prove the equation (4-2cosy)/(5-4cosy) using infinite geometric series and double angle formulas. The final part discusses solving the equation x^4 - x^2 + 1/16 = 0 using complex numbers, but the speaker realizes that it can also be solved by setting cos(4y) = 1/2. The speaker also mentions that the trig solution and completing the square solutions match up.
sachi
the first two parts of this question are easy to prove:

1 + cosy/2+ cos(2y)/4 + cos(3y)/8 ... =(4-2cosy)/(5-4cosy)

this can be done using infinite geometric series, and taking the real part.

Then cos(4y) =8({(cosy)^4} -{(cosy)^2}) + 1

which can be done using double angle formulae.

Now we need to solve

x^4 - x^2 + 1/16 = 0

This can be done easily using complex no's, but I'm not sure how to do it using the previous results. I've tried setting cos(4y) = 1/16, and then letting x=cosy, but I end up with some horrible expression involving cos(0.25*arcos(1/16)) which is obviously not what I'm supposed to get.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Try putting [tex]\cos(4y) = 1/2[/tex].

Carl

You notice that:

(cos y)^4 - (cos y)^2 + (1/8)(1 - cos 4y) = 0?

thanks v. much. i was probably suffering some sort of miniature brain death by putting cosy = 1/16 (instead of cosy = 1/2!) The trig solution and the completing the square solutions match up as well, so it all work out.

1. What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that contains both a real part and an imaginary part. It can be written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part (with i being the square root of -1).

2. How do you solve a complex number equation?

To solve a complex number equation, you can use geometric series and double angle formulae. These formulas allow you to manipulate the complex numbers and simplify the equation into a more manageable form.

3. What is a geometric series?

A geometric series is a sequence of numbers where each term is found by multiplying the previous term by a constant number, known as the common ratio. The formula for finding the sum of a geometric series is S = a/(1-r), where a is the first term and r is the common ratio.

4. How do double angle formulae work?

Double angle formulae are used to simplify trigonometric expressions involving double angles, such as sin(2x) or cos(2x). These formulas allow you to express the double angle in terms of the original angle, making it easier to solve complex equations.

5. When should I use geometric series and double angle formulae to solve an equation?

You should use geometric series and double angle formulae when you encounter complex numbers in your equation. These formulas are specifically designed to help you manipulate and simplify complex numbers, making it easier to solve the equation.