Finding Argument of Complex Number Given Equations

In summary, the problem is to find the argument of a complex number z, given that the sum of z and the conjugate of another complex number w is 0, and the argument of their product is pi. Using the properties of complex numbers, we can determine that the argument of z is equal to the negative of the sum of the argument of i times the conjugate of w, and pi/2.
NEILS BOHR

Homework Statement

let z , w be complex nos. such that z + i ( conjugate of w ) = 0 and zw = pi . Then find arg z..

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

well i m unable to understand wat is meant by zw=pi...

Physics news on Phys.org
You sure you wrote the problem correctly? I found one very similar to this by searching via Google. The problem goes like this:
"Let z, w be complex numbers such that

[tex]\bar{z} + i\bar{w} = 0[/tex]

and

arg(zw) = π.

Find arg(z)."

hmmm
well in the quesn it is given like this only...

but yeah without arg it doesn't make much of a sense...

It is possible for z*w = pi, but it's more likely that arg(z*w) = pi.

can u pleasez elaborate a little??

If [itex]z= r_ze^{i\theta_z}[/itex] and [itex]w= r_we^{i\theta_w}[/itex] then [itex]arg(zw)= \theta_z+ \theta_w= \pi[itex] so [itex]\theta_z[/itex] and [itex]\theta_w[/itex] are supplementary angles.

Saying that [itex]z+ i\overline{w}= 0[/itex] means that [itex]z= -i\overline{w}[/itex] and so [itex]arg(z)= arg(i\overline{w})- \pi[/itex].

Now, taking the conjugate of a complex number multiplies its argument by -1 and multiplying by i adds [itex]\pi/2[/itex] to the argument. That is, if w has argument [itex]\theta[/itex], then [itex]i\overline{w}[/itex] has argument [itex]\pi/2- \theta[/itex]. From the previous paragraph, [itex]arg(z)= arg(i\overline{w})+ \pi= \pi2- \theta+ \pi= -(\theta+ \pi/2)[/itex]. More than that, I don't believe you can say.

1. What is the argument of a complex number?

The argument of a complex number is the angle between the positive real axis and the vector representing the complex number in the complex plane. It is measured in radians or degrees and can be positive or negative.

2. How do I find the argument of a complex number given its equations?

To find the argument of a complex number given its equations, first represent the complex number in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part. Then, use the formula arctan(b/a) to find the argument in radians. If you want the answer in degrees, you can convert it by multiplying by 180/π.

3. Can the argument of a complex number be negative?

Yes, the argument of a complex number can be negative. This happens when the complex number is located in the third or fourth quadrant of the complex plane, where the angle is measured clockwise from the negative real axis.

4. What is the range of possible values for the argument of a complex number?

The range of possible values for the argument of a complex number is -π to π (or -180° to 180°). This range covers all possible angles in the complex plane, including positive and negative values.

5. Can the argument of a complex number be greater than 360°?

No, the argument of a complex number cannot be greater than 360°. This is because the complex plane is a two-dimensional space and therefore, the maximum angle that can be formed is 360°. Any angle greater than this would just be a rotation of the same angle.