Calculating Powers of Complex Numbers: Is My Answer Correct?

In summary, the individual is asking for help with calculating the value of (\surd5 - 2i)^{11} in complex numbers. They provide their attempt at a solution, finding the polar form of the given complex number and then raising it to the 11th power. They calculate the final answer as 177147(8.19..+7.33..i) which simplifies to 1452413.3..+1299078i. They also question their approach and ask for clarification on finding the argument of a complex number.
Trail_Builder
not sure if this is in the right section as i havn't got to calculus yet lol. anyways, was wondering whether you could check i have calculated this right as I'm learning complex numbers at the moment and have no way of checking my working. thnx

Homework Statement

Calculate [tex](\surd5 - 2i)^{11}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Find polar form of [tex](\surd5 - 2i)[/tex]

[tex]r = complex modulus[/tex]

[tex]r = \sqrt{5 + 4}[/tex]
[tex]r = 3[/tex]

[tex]Arg(z) = sin^{-1}(\frac{2}{3})[/tex]

sub all that into [tex]r(cosArg(z) + i*sinArg(z))[/tex]

but before actual calculate take the power of 11 into consideration so...

[tex](\surd5 - 2i)^{11} = r^{11}(11*cosArg(z) + 11i*sinArg(z))[/tex]

I then calculate all that as

[tex]177147(8.19..+7.33..i)[/tex]

[tex]1452413.3..+1299078i[/tex]

hope that's right :D

thnx

Physics news on Phys.org
The argument of a complex number (x+iy) = ?

ermmm, did i just work out the angle of the triangle instead of working out the angle counterclockwise from the x-axis? (on the argand diagram i think its called/complex plane)

think i might of

would the argument be instead [tex]360 - sin^{-1}(\frac{2}{3})[/tex]?

Why not just sin-1(-2/3)? (Admittedly, that is the same as 360- sin-1(2/3).)

1. What are complex numbers and why are they important in scientific calculations?

Complex numbers are numbers that contain both a real and an imaginary part, represented as a+bi where a is the real part, b is the imaginary part, and i is the imaginary unit. They are important in scientific calculations because they allow us to solve equations and problems that cannot be solved with only real numbers, such as finding roots of negative numbers or solving differential equations.

2. How do you add and subtract complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, simply combine the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. For example, to add (3+4i) and (2+5i), add 3 and 2 to get 5 for the real part, and add 4i and 5i to get 9i for the imaginary part. The result would be (5+9i).

3. Can you multiply and divide complex numbers?

Yes, you can multiply and divide complex numbers. To multiply complex numbers, use the distributive property and the fact that i2 = -1. For example, to multiply (3+4i) and (2+5i), use (3+4i)(2+5i) = 3(2+5i) + 4i(2+5i) = 6+15i+8i+20i2 = 6+15i+8i-20 = -14+23i. To divide complex numbers, multiply the numerator and denominator by the complex conjugate of the denominator (which is the same as the original denominator but with the sign of the imaginary part flipped), and then simplify.

4. How do you find the magnitude and argument of a complex number?

The magnitude or absolute value of a complex number a+bi is given by |a+bi| = √(a2+b2). The argument of a complex number is the angle that it makes with the positive real axis, measured counterclockwise. It can be found using the formula tan⁻¹(b/a).

5. Can complex numbers be graphed on a coordinate plane?

Yes, complex numbers can be graphed on a coordinate plane with the real part on the x-axis and the imaginary part on the y-axis. This is known as the complex plane or Argand diagram. The complex numbers are represented as points on the plane, and operations such as addition and multiplication can be visualized as geometric transformations.