1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex number calculation

1. Nov 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Evaluate {(1+i)^(1-i)} and describe the set{1^x} when x is a real number, distinguish between the cases when x is rational and when x is rational. for now considering the complex number.

2. The attempt at a solution
    i dont know how to start with,for firest part i just write it into e^((1-i)log(1+i)) then get the number with e to the power which inculding i , and the secound part , for 1=e^(i2npi) then 1^x is e^(2inxpi) then how to consider the case for rational and irrational here?????

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2012 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

start by breaking the factor into two factors (1+i)^1 * (1+i)^(-i)

4. Nov 28, 2012 #3
    i can do the first part now, many thanks ,but i dont understand the secound part of the question.should it be if 1=exp(2ikpi) then 1^x= exp(2ikpix) then consider the rational and irrational case on this form. but whats the differences , i have no idea

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  5. Nov 28, 2012 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes. Think about whether different values for k can produce the same value.

6. Nov 29, 2012 #5
    if rational, then 1^(p/q) is the q complex roots of 1, if x is irrational then 1^x=exp(2ikpix) then k can be chosen infinitely many values then there are infinite points

7. Nov 29, 2012 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That's it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook