1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Complex number equation

1. Sep 17, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I've been recapitulating some lessons we learned in high school 2 years ago for the exams I need to take this year. There was this exercise I couldn't solve in a nice way.

z^2005+(1/z^2005) if we know that z^2+z+1=0

2. Relevant equations

I couldn't came up with a good solution, so I looked at the key at the end of the book, and it said that from z^2+z+1=0 => z^3=1, and then you do z^2005=(z^3)^668+z=1^668+z=1+z

3. The attempt at a solution

I calculated the root for the equation, and I found that it is (-1±i√3)/2. Now, that complex number definitely isn't 1 on the third power, and I can't take (1+z)+1/(1+z) too far either.
    Where did I mess up? Is the key in my book correct?

Thank you for your answers.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2010 #2

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

Okay, they get z^{3} from:
    [tex]
    z^{2}+z+1=0\Rightarrow z^{3}+z^{2}+z=0\Rightarrow z^{3}-1=0\Rightarrow z^{3}=1
    [/tex]
    Then
    [tex]
    z^{2004}=(z^{3})^{668}=1^{668}=1
    [/tex]
    From here it is clear what to do.

4. Sep 17, 2010 #3

statdad

Homework Helper

"Now, that complex number definitely isn't 1 on the third power"

Are you sure about that? Check it again.

As a different approach: remember that

[tex]
    A^3 -1 = (A-1)(A^2 + A + 1)
    [/tex]

so, given [itex] z^2 + z + 1 = 0 [/itex]

[tex]
    \begin{align*}
    z^2 + z + 1 & = 0 \\
    \frac{z^3 - 1}{z-1} & = 0 \\
    z^3 - 1 & = 0 \\
    z^3 & = 1
    \end{align*}
    [/tex]

I can eliminate the denominator since it is obvious that z is not equal to 1. This gets you to the same statement about z as direct calculation, but without having to work with complex numbers (not that that is a huge problem). Once here, the rest of the solution goes as you note.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook