Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex number exponential subtraction

1. Feb 1, 2005 #1
    Hi all,

Im having a bit of trouble with a question. I have to convert:

[tex]Ke^{j\delta} - Ke^{j\psi}[/tex]

Into the form

[tex]re^{j\theta}[/tex]

This is the second part of the question, the first part was an addition instead of subtraction which i managed by using this formula:

[tex]z_1 + z_2 = K(e^{j\delta} + e^{j\psi}) = Ke^{j(\delta + \psi)/2}(e^{j(\delta - \psi)/2} + e^{-j(\delta - \psi)/2}) = 2K\cos((\delta - \psi)/2).e^{j(\delta + \psi)/2}[/tex]

I cant really see where to go with the subtraction though...is it maybe to do with a sin rule? To be honest i dont fully understand the formula above but it was given to us...Ive fiddled around with the maths for a while but its totally headbanging :( Hoping someone can help!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since you already have a formula for sums, how about using the fact that [itex]e^{i(\psi+ \pi)}= e^{i\psi}e^{i\pi}= -e^{i\psi}[/itex]? In other words, replace [itex]\psi[/itex] with [itex]\psi+ \pi[/itex] in your formula.

4. Feb 1, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Okay.It's not difficult.Jst follow the same pattern using the half angle

[tex] D=z_{1}-z_{2}=Ke^{j(\frac{\delta+\psi}{2})}[e^{j(\frac{\delta-\psi}{2})}-e^{j(\frac{\psi-\delta}{2})}]=Ke^{j(\frac{\delta+\psi}{2})}[e^{j(\frac{\delta-\psi}{2})}-e^{-j(\frac{\delta-\psi}{2})}]=[2jK\sin(\frac{\delta-\psi}{2})]e^{j(\frac{\delta+\psi}{2})} [/tex]

Okay?

Daniel.

5. Feb 1, 2005 #4
    brilliant thanks for your help! :)

6. Apr 25, 2006 #5
    URGENT: Can anyone help me with this?

Can anyone tell me what difference it makes to the subtraction/addition formulae when the base factors are not the same? i.e

[TEX]D=z_{1}-z_{2}=Ke^{j(\delta)}-Le^{j(\psi)}[/TEX]

I have fiddled with the above formulae, but cant seem to get anything sensible looking from it... And I need to solve this quite urgently!!!

Thanks in advance...

Last edited: Apr 25, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?