Complex number exponential subtraction

In summary, the conversation discusses converting an expression from the form Ke^{j\delta} - Ke^{j\psi} into the form re^{j\theta}. The first part of the question involved using a formula for addition of complex numbers, and the second part involves using the fact that e^{i(\psi+ \pi)}= -e^{i\psi}. The conversation also includes a discussion about the difference between subtraction and addition when the base factors are not the same.
Exulus
Hi all,

Im having a bit of trouble with a question. I have to convert:

[tex]Ke^{j\delta} - Ke^{j\psi}[/tex]

Into the form

[tex]re^{j\theta}[/tex]

This is the second part of the question, the first part was an addition instead of subtraction which i managed by using this formula:

[tex]z_1 + z_2 = K(e^{j\delta} + e^{j\psi}) = Ke^{j(\delta + \psi)/2}(e^{j(\delta - \psi)/2} + e^{-j(\delta - \psi)/2}) = 2K\cos((\delta - \psi)/2).e^{j(\delta + \psi)/2}[/tex]

I can't really see where to go with the subtraction though...is it maybe to do with a sin rule? To be honest i don't fully understand the formula above but it was given to us...Ive fiddled around with the maths for a while but its totally headbanging :( Hoping someone can help!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Since you already have a formula for sums, how about using the fact that [itex]e^{i(\psi+ \pi)}= e^{i\psi}e^{i\pi}= -e^{i\psi}[/itex]? In other words, replace [itex]\psi[/itex] with [itex]\psi+ \pi[/itex] in your formula.

Okay.It's not difficult.Jst follow the same pattern using the half angle

[tex] D=z_{1}-z_{2}=Ke^{j(\frac{\delta+\psi}{2})}[e^{j(\frac{\delta-\psi}{2})}-e^{j(\frac{\psi-\delta}{2})}]=Ke^{j(\frac{\delta+\psi}{2})}[e^{j(\frac{\delta-\psi}{2})}-e^{-j(\frac{\delta-\psi}{2})}]=[2jK\sin(\frac{\delta-\psi}{2})]e^{j(\frac{\delta+\psi}{2})} [/tex]

Okay?

Daniel.

brilliant thanks for your help! :)

URGENT: Can anyone help me with this?

Can anyone tell me what difference it makes to the subtraction/addition formulae when the base factors are not the same? i.e

[TEX]D=z_{1}-z_{2}=Ke^{j(\delta)}-Le^{j(\psi)}[/TEX]

I have fiddled with the above formulae, but can't seem to get anything sensible looking from it... And I need to solve this quite urgently!

Thanks in advance...

Last edited:

1. What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that has two parts: a real part and an imaginary part. It can be written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part, with i being the imaginary unit.

2. What is an exponential function?

An exponential function is a mathematical function in which an independent variable is raised to a constant power. The most common form of an exponential function is f(x) = a^x, where a is a constant and x is the independent variable.

3. What is subtraction of complex numbers?

Subtraction of complex numbers involves subtracting the real parts and imaginary parts separately. For example, to subtract (3 + 4i) from (6 + 2i), we would subtract 3 from 6 to get 3 as the real part, and subtract 4i from 2i to get -2i as the imaginary part. The result would be (3 - 2i).

4. How do you perform exponential subtraction of complex numbers?

To perform exponential subtraction of complex numbers, we first convert the complex numbers into their exponential form using Euler's formula: e^(ix) = cos(x) + i*sin(x). Then, we can subtract the real and imaginary parts separately and convert the result back to the standard complex number form if needed.

5. What is the purpose of using complex number exponential subtraction?

Complex number exponential subtraction is often used in mathematics, physics, and engineering to solve problems involving quantities with both real and imaginary components. It can also be used to simplify complex equations and express them in a more compact form.