Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Number, hard to solve

1. Sep 1, 2004 #1
    The question is :
    The complex number [tex]z[/tex] is given by
    z = 1 + cos (theta) + i*sin (theta)
    where -Pi < theta <= Pi
    Show that for all values of theta, the point representing z in a Argrand Diagram is located on a circle. Find the centre and radius of the circle.

Note that i understand perhaps some of you don't understand the symbol i used above, hence i will explain it here :
    smaller or equal to : <=
    theta : an angle
    Pi : a usefull constant in circle, i dont know how to define it.
    i = square root of -1

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2004 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Hint: go into the the reference frame with translated origin at 1+0i.

4. Sep 1, 2004 #3

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think we all new what the symbols meant, if not we'd probably not be able to help...

do you know the general formula for a circle in the complex plane? It's the set S ={ z | |z-w|=r} for some fixed w in the plane and r a positive constant. Do any choices of w and r spring to mind given we know that cos^2+sin^2 is identically 1?

Of course there are other ways to see the answer since it is translation of the unit circle (centred on the origin).

5. Sep 1, 2004 #4
    Solution

Let me denote
    : theta as x
    :z* the complex conjugate of z
    :^ denotes power x^2 ==x squared

then
    Z=1+Cosx+iSinx
    Z*=1+Cosx-iSinx

ZZ*=2 + 2Cosx^2 //z multiplied by (z*) will give you that

ZZ*-Z-Z*=
    =2 + 2Cosx^2 - 1 - Cosx - iSinx - 1 - Cosx + iSinx
    =2

therefore
    ZZ* - Z - Z* + 1=3

==>Z(Z*-1) - (Z*-1) = 3
    ==>(Z-1)(Z*-1) = 3
    ==>(Z-1)(Z-1)*=3
    ==>|Z-1|^2=3
    ==>|Z-1|=real
    Which is the general form of a circle in complex plane as matt grime pointed out.

Hope you found this solution useful :shy:

cheers
    poolwin2001

P.S:Where did you get this question ??

6. Sep 1, 2004 #5
    This any help ?

[itex]
    \mbox{\Huge
    \[
    e^{i\theta } = cos\theta + isin\theta
    \]}
    [/itex]

Best

7. Sep 2, 2004 #6
    hard to understand

First of all, thanks to those people who had post reply to my question, your message is meaningful to me, thanks you.
    Well, this question i get it from my work book in complex number exercise. Note that i am not European people, i live in South East Asian, hence i don't think is meaning to you if i told you which book i found this question, ok poolwin2001 ?

matt grime, i am just begin the Complex Number chapter, hence i really don't know got such Set which define any circle in the Argand Diagram. And to poolwin2001 also, i understand all your working but just don't understand how can u state that once u able to show |Z-1|=real , this implies that the point of complex number Z is located on a circle in Argand Diagram.

I just begin study this chapter, hence i don't think that the author expect me to use this kind of "theorem" ( which i think is under Further Mathematic ) to show Z is located in a circle, do you have any other easier method ?
    For your information, i just study the operation of Complex Number (plus, minus, multiply and divide), conjugate ,draw Argand Diagram, that is all in my syllabus, and that question i was found it inside my textbook (so i sure the author will expect us use the method i study to solve it, and not using those "theorem" )

8. Sep 2, 2004 #7

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The idea that these points define a circle doesn't have anything to do with the complex numbers as such.

You should be thinking of the numbers as points in the complex plane, yes? then | | means distance. so {z| |z-w|=r} means all the points z a distance r from w. This is just geometry in the plane, but with nicer notation.

9. Sep 2, 2004 #8
    what matt grime probably asked you to do was to use the trigonometry identity.

Let z= x + iy
    =[tex] (1+cos\theta) + isin\theta[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow x = 1+cos\theta[/tex]
    [tex]\Rightarrow y = sin\theta[/tex]

[tex]sin^2\theta + cos^2\theta = 1[/tex]
    [tex]y^2 + (x-1)^2 = 1[/tex]

Compare with the circle equation : [tex] (x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2 = r^2[/tex]
    with center coordinate of (a,b) and radius r.

10. Sep 2, 2004 #9
    I think I got the explanation down in the zip file (couldn't upload the image directly). Hope it helps, sure took me a long time to create it.

Attached Files:

11. Sep 5, 2004 #10
    wow 3 different solutions

WOW 3 different solutions:bugeye:
    Great !3 different solns each radically different have been given .Awesome!!
    (But mine had to be the longest :frown: :cry: )

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?