1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex number in Denominator

1. Aug 26, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Express (see attachment) with a real denominator

2. Relevant equations

Not sure if there is really relevant equations to use here.

3. The attempt at a solution

First I multiply the top and bottom by the exponential. That gives me e^ix/(e^ix-r^2). I think this is a good first step, but I am unsure where to go from here.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2010 #2

Mentallic

Homework Helper

To make the denominator real (called rationalizing the denominator) you need to convert it into the form a+ib and then multiply by its complex conjugate a-ib. Can you turn it into that form first? It will be easier if you convert eix into its polar form expression.

4. Aug 26, 2010 #3
    If I convert the denominator as given in the problem I end up with: i r^2 sin(x)+r^2 (-cos(x))+1 I don't see how I can make a conjugate with 3 variables here? Am I missing something? I have went over this several times in attempt to make sure I hadn't made a mistake......

5. Aug 26, 2010 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I take it r and δ are real. If that's the case, it's a bit simpler to simply replace i with -i to form the conjugate of the denominator, rather than converting to rectangular form. Use the fact that [itex]z+\bar{z} = 2 \textrm{Re}(z)[/itex] to simplify the cross term.

6. Aug 26, 2010 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Whenever you have a problem of the form [tex]\frac{a}{b}[/tex] where 'a' and 'b' are in general, complex, you can immediately multiply top and bottom by the conjugate of b.

[tex]\frac{a}{b} \frac{b^*}{b^*}[/tex]

and the result in the denominator is b*b = |b|, which is always real.

If [tex]r, \delta[/tex] are real, the only change when you conjugate is changing the sign on the i's.

7. Aug 27, 2010 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You don't have to write the complex number as a+ bi. Just multiply both numerator and denominator by the complex conjugate, [itex]1- r^2e^{i\delta}[/itex]. You get
    [tex]\frac{1- r^2e^{i\delta}}{1- r^2(e^{i\delta}+ e^{-i\delta})+ r^4}[/tex]
    [tex]= \frac{1- r^2e^{i\delta}}{1+ r^4- 2r^2 cos(\delta)}[/tex]

(I see now that Vela had said essentially the same thing.)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  8. Sep 1, 2010 #7
    Thanks very much for all the help. I did get this right thanks to all your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook