Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex number in integral

1. Aug 14, 2007 #1
    Suppose we want to find

[tex] \int e^x \cos{x} \ dx [/tex]

We know from [tex] e^{ix} = \cos{x} + i\sin{x} [/tex] that the real part of [tex] e^{ix} [/tex] equals [tex] \cos{x} [/tex]. So suppose we want to find that integral, is it ok to study the real part of [tex] e^x \cdot e^{ix} [/tex]? In that case we get

[tex] \int e^x \cos{x} \ dx = \int e^x e^{ix} \ dx = \frac{e^x e^{ix}}{1+i}[/tex]

Doing this gives us
    [tex] (1/2) e^x e^{ix} (1 - i)[/tex]
    [tex] (1/2) e^x (\cos{x} + i\sin{x})(1 - i)[/tex]
    [tex] (1/2) e^x (\cos{x} - i\cos{x} + i\sin{x} + \sin{x})[/tex]

Hence we find that

[tex] \int e^x \cos{x} \ dx = (1/2)e^x (\cos{x} + \sin{x}) [/tex]

Which is indeed the result we get from using integration by parts. We also get that the imaginary part is (same as by integration by parts)

[tex] \int e^x \sin{x} \ dx = (1/2) e^x (\sin{x} - \cos{x}) [/tex].

But is this technique ok and is there any more examples of this technique? Is there a name for this? Doing this instead of using integration by parts we get the integrals of [tex] e^x \cos{x} [/tex] and [tex] e^x \sin{x} [/tex] at the same time ... I can't think of any way why this shouldn't be ok.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2007 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's a completely valid technique.

4. Aug 14, 2007 #3
    just one thing about notation.
    it's not correct to equate that the integral of e^x(1+i) eqauls the integral of e^xcos(x), but rather that the real part of the former intergal differs from the latter by a cosntant.
    besides this, looks like a nice idea, which can be very useful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?