Finding Solutions for Complex Numbers: A Case Study with ω10+ω5+3 = 0

In summary, the student attempted to solve a homework equation but hit a complex number which is making them doubt their method. They eventually solved it using a different equation and found the two complex solutions for x.
Asla
complex number ??

Homework Statement

Let ω be the solution to the equation x2+x+1=0
Get the value of ω105+3=

Homework Equations

complex numbers?

The Attempt at a Solution

When I try solving the first equation I hit a complex number which is making me think I am wrong.
(x+1/2)2=-3/4
Again if the method is right, what is the relationship between the complex number and the later expression?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are two solutions to the quadratic, both are complex numbers.

Solve the equation and find the two complex solutions for x.

Now, you know that these values are equal to ω, apply De Moivre's theorem for complex numbers to the new expression.

You don't have to solve the equation- in fact, you don't have to use complex numbers at all.

From [tex]x^2+ x+ 1= 0[/tex] we get [tex]x^2= -(x+ 1)[/tex]. [tex]x^{10}= (x^2)^5= -(x+ 1)^5= -x^5- 5x^4- 10x^3- 10x^2- 5x- 1[/tex] so that [tex]x^{10}+ x^5+ 3= -5x^4- 10x^3- 10x^2- 5x+ 2[/tex].

Now, continue using [tex]x^2= -(x+ 1)[/tex] to keep reducing the exponents until you have reduce it to a quadratic.

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
You don't have to solve the equation- in fact, you don't have to use complex numbers at all.

From [tex]x^2+ x+ 1= 0[/tex] we get [tex]x^2= -(x+ 1)[/tex]. [tex]x^{10}= (x^2)^5= -(x+ 1)^5= -x^5- 5x^4- 10x^3- 10x^2- 5x- 1[/tex] so that [tex]x^{10}+ x^5+ 3= -5x^4- 10x^3- 10x^2- 5x+ 2[/tex].

Now, continue using [tex]x^2= -(x+ 1)[/tex] to keep reducing the exponents until you have reduce it to a quadratic.

I tried doing that but I really do not know how to go about the -10x3The cubic power keeps resurfacing?

Maybe try:

x^2 = -(x+1)

Therefore, x.x^2 = -x(x+1) = -x^2 - x

Now, substitute for x^2 the expression on the top line, and you have the equivalent for x^3. :smile:

NascentOxygen said:
Maybe try:

x^2 = -(x+1)

Therefore, x.x^2 = -x(x+1) = -x^2 - x

Now, substitute for x^2 the expression on the top line, and you have the equivalent for x^3. :smile:
Wow good insight now I have the quadratic equation and am stuck again.

Yes, you can reduce it to a quadratic. Now compare it to [tex]x^2+ x+ 1[/tex] which you know is 0.

Asla said:
I tried doing that but I really do not know how to go about the -10x3The cubic power keeps resurfacing?
Determining the value of [itex]x^3[/itex] is critical. You know that [itex]x^2 = -(x+1)[/itex]. Multiply both sides by x and simplify the right hand side.

Hall's approach is valid, but it's even easier if you use [itex]x^5 = x^3 x^2[/itex] and [itex]x^{10} = (x^3)^3 x[/itex].

Nice I got it.Thanks

What is the Complex Number Method?

The Complex Number Method is a mathematical technique used to solve problems involving complex numbers. It involves representing complex numbers in the form of a real part and an imaginary part, and using algebraic operations to manipulate and solve equations.

When is the Complex Number Method used?

The Complex Number Method is used in various fields of science and engineering, including electrical engineering, quantum mechanics, and fluid dynamics. It is particularly useful for solving problems involving alternating current circuits and systems with oscillating behavior.

How does the Complex Number Method work?

The Complex Number Method works by representing complex numbers as points on a two-dimensional plane, known as the complex plane. Addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division of complex numbers can be visualized as geometric operations on this plane, making it easier to manipulate and solve equations.

What are the advantages of using the Complex Number Method?

The Complex Number Method allows for the efficient and accurate solution of problems involving complex numbers. It also provides a geometric understanding of complex numbers, making it easier to visualize and interpret solutions.

What are some common applications of the Complex Number Method?

The Complex Number Method is commonly used in electrical engineering for analyzing AC circuits and designing filters. It is also used in physics for solving problems related to wave behavior and resonance. In addition, it has applications in signal processing, control systems, and image processing.