Can You Apply Binomial Theorem to Expand (x + y)^5?

In summary, using Euler's formula, cos5ø can be expressed in terms of cosø and isinø. The problem is that when converting cos5ø, sin must be removed. This can be done by using the De Moivre's formula for powers and roots of complex numbers. Hope this helps.
sparsh
using eulers formula express cos5ø in terms of cosø. Hence show that =cos(pie/10) is a root of the equation 16x^4 - 20x^2 +5 =0 ..

Thanks in advance .

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like homework to me so I'm moving this to the homework section. Do you know what Euler's formula is? If so, go ahead and apply it!

Yup i know it

But the problem is that when i convert cos5ø in terms of (cosø + isinø )
then how do i remove the sin term ...

like this complex number has only got its real part. And using eulers formula we can't have angles different for the cos and sine terms..

Moreover we have to use the obtained result in the 2nd part of the question

If you know it then use it, or at least write here what you've obtained by using it, so that you can get help (not just the answer).

You know how to get rid of sin's and turn them into cos's from trig (cos^2+sin^2=1) and the real part only has even powers of sin in it.

I think you will have to consider only the real part here since you have only 'x' terms.
Use the De Moivre's formula for powers and roots of complex numbers.
[tex]\left[r(\cos \phi + i\sin \phi)\right]^n = r^n(\cos n\phi + i\sin n\phi)[/tex]

Hope this helps a bit...

I converted it into something like this ::

cos 5ø = (cosø)^5 + i cos(90-ø)^5 - icos(90-5ø)

Then what should i do

That is not correct. In fact it looks as though you think that (x+y)^5=x^5+y^5.

Do not write sin(x)=cos(90-x), by the way. There is no need to do that.

@ matt

By the eulers formula or De Movier's Theorum (cosø+isinø)^5 is cos 5ø+isin5ø
Is there anything wrong with that.

Actually I got to give the exam after two days . So please it would be really great if you could just give me the solution to this problem. I have spent too much time on it already. Have to study Physics and Chem too

that is right, and nothing to do with what i said: you failed to expand the fifth power as a power properly.

certainly (cosx+isinx)^5=cos5x+isin5x, but you also seem to think that this is the same as cos^5(x)+isin^5(x), which is obviously false.

I think i got the solution to this problem...

Just to share it with you. We can break e^i5ø into e^i3ø e^i2ø and then solve .
Thanks anyways for all your help ...

sparsh, in your original post you said "use Euler's formula". My first response was "Do you know what Euler's formula is? If so, go ahead and apply it!" Your last response was the first one where it looks like you are actually using Euler's formula!

Can i know what is the basic difference between the Eulers Formula and the De moivers theorum. I mean they produce the same result.

sparsh said:
Can i know what is the basic difference between the Eulers Formula and the De moivers theorum. I mean they produce the same result.
Euler's formula states:
[tex]e^{i\phi} = \cos \phi + i\sin \phi [/tex]

De Moivre's Formula states:
[tex](\cos \phi + i\sin \phi)^n = \cos(n\phi)+i\sin(n\phi)[/tex]

De Moivre's formula is useful when you are dealing with powers and roots of complex numbers.

I think the basic problem is knowledge and application of Binomial Theorem, not De Moivre's or Euler's formulae.

Sparsh, you can expand second and third powers of (x + y).

Can you do the same for the fifth power ?

What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that consist of both a real and imaginary part. The real part is a regular number, while the imaginary part is a multiple of the square root of -1, denoted as "i". The general form of a complex number is a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part.

How do you add and subtract complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, you simply add or subtract the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. For example, (3 + 2i) + (1 + 5i) = (3 + 1) + (2i + 5i) = 4 + 7i. For subtraction, the process is the same, but with a minus sign in between the numbers.

What is the difference between a complex number and a real number?

A real number is a regular number that can be plotted on a number line and has no imaginary part. A complex number, on the other hand, has both a real and imaginary part and cannot be plotted on a number line. Additionally, real numbers can be written in decimal form, while complex numbers are usually written in standard form (a + bi).

Can complex numbers be multiplied and divided?

Yes, complex numbers can be multiplied and divided using the FOIL method and the rules of exponents. To multiply, you multiply the real parts and the imaginary parts separately and combine them. To divide, you multiply the numerator and denominator by the complex conjugate of the denominator and simplify.

What are complex conjugates?

Complex conjugates are pairs of complex numbers that have the same real part but opposite signs on the imaginary part. For example, the complex conjugates of 3 + 2i are 3 - 2i and vice versa. When dividing complex numbers, the denominator should be multiplied by its conjugate to simplify the expression.