Complex Number Equations: Solving for z and Finding the Perpendicular Bisector

In summary, to solve for z in the equation z + 2i z(with a line above it) = -9 + 2i, you can use the definition of complex numbers and equate the real and imaginary parts of the equation. In terms of x + iy, the equation becomes x + iy + 2i(x - iy) = -9 + 2i. To find the values of m and c in the equation |z-9+9i| = |z-6+3i|, you can use the definition of complex numbers and the equation of a straight line to write the equation in terms of x and y. Square both sides and solve for the values of x and y.
King_Silver

Homework Statement

a) Solve equation z + 2i z(with a line above it i.e. complex conjugate) = -9 +2i
I want it in the form x + iy and I am solving for z.

b)
The equation |z-9+9i| = |z-6+3i| describes the straight line in the complex plane that is the perpendicular bisector of the line segment from 9-9i to 6-3i.
Find the value of m and c

Homework Equations

Complex conjugate: z = x + iy, z(line above it) = x -iy

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I'm not exactly sure how to approach this but I have a few ideas.
  1. let z = -9 and 2i z(line above) = 2i and solve that way
  2. Let the entire equation = z, however when I do this what do I do about the complex conjugate z?
  3. Let entire equation = z complex conjugate and change the signs?
I really am unsure which will work.

b) If you write it in term of x +iy, you can write the equation like so: y = mx+c.
I now need to find the values of m and c, my textbook literally jumps to insanely easy complex numbers to questions like these, I presume they are just difficultly worded questions and that they aren't actually difficult. Any help on how to approach these questions?

Physics news on Phys.org
King_Silver said:

Homework Statement

a) Solve equation z + 2i z(with a line above it i.e. complex conjugate) = -9 +2i

b)
The equation |z-9+9i| = |z-6+3i| describes the straight line in the complex plane that is the perpendicular bisector of the line segment from 9-9i to 6-3i.

Homework Equations

1. let z = -9 and 2i z(line above) = 2i and solve

You are told that the product of z+ 2i and its conjugate is -9+ 2i. Why would you assume z itself is equal to that?
Let z= x+ iy. Then z+ 2i= x+ (y+ 2)i and its conjugate is x- yi. What is the product of those? Set the real part of the product equal to -9, the imaginary part equal to 2 and solve the two equations for x and y.
(I see that Steam King is interpreting this as [itex]z+ 2i(\overline{z})[/itex] rather than [itex](z+ 2i)\overline{z}[/itex] as I did.)

Let the entire equation = z, however when I do this what do I do about the complex conjugate z?
  1. Let entire equation = z complex conjugate and change the signs?

b) If you write it in term of x +iy, you can write the equation like so: y = mx+c.
I now need to find the values of m and c, my textbook literally jumps to insanely easy complex numbers to questions like these, I presume they are just difficultly worded questions and that they aren't actually difficult. Any help on how to approach these questions?
These are only "difficultly worded" if you don't understand what the words mean. What points in the plane represent the complex numbers 9- 9i and 6- 3i? What is the equation of the line through those two points? What is the equation of the perpendicular bisector of that line segment? [itex]|x+ iy|= \sqrt{x^2+ y^2}[/itex] so how can you write |z- 9- 9i|= |z-6+3i| in terms of x and y? What do you get when you square both sides of that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes King_Silver
King_Silver said:

Homework Statement

b)

Homework Equations

1. let z = -9 and 2i z(line above) = 2i and solve that way
  2. Let the entire equation = z, however when I do this what do I do about the complex conjugate z?
  3. Let entire equation = z complex conjugate and change the signs?

Let's take a) which is relatively simple.

You need to solve ##z + 2i\bar z = -9 +2i##

Use the definition of ##z = x + iy## and ##\bar z = x - iy## and substitute these back into the original equation. Do the multiplication of ##\bar z## and ##2i## as indicated.

You find z by equating the real part and the complex part on both sides of the equation.

Likes King_Silver
SteamKing said:
Let's take a) which is relatively simple.

You need to solve ##z + 2i\bar z = -9 +2i##

Use the definition of ##z = x + iy## and ##\bar z = x - iy## and substitute these back into the original equation. Do the multiplication of ##\bar z## and ##2i## as indicated.

You find z by equating the real part and the complex part on both sides of the equation.

So rewrite it as... x+iy +2i x-iy = -9 +2i?

I understand what you mean by equating the real part and the complex part on both sides of the equation i.e. reals and reals together, imaginary and imaginary together right? :)
but what do you mean by "Do the multiplication of z(conjugate) +2i as indicated? :)

King_Silver said:

I understand what you mean by equating the real part and the complex part on both sides of the equation i.e. reals and reals together, imaginary and imaginary together right? :)
but what do you mean by "Do the multiplication of z(conjugate) +2i as indicated? :)
Exactly that. Calculate the product ##2i ⋅ (x - iy)##. What do you get when you multiply everything out?

King_Silver said:
No, you rewrite it as x+ iy- 2i(x- iy)= -9+ 2i. Do you see the difference?

He means "multiply the two complex numbers"!

Likes King_Silver
SteamKing said:
Exactly that. Calculate the product ##2i ⋅ (x - iy)##. What do you get when you multiply everything out?

when you multiply both those together you get -2i2y but because i2 = -1 you get 2ix + 2? :/
Then you can rewrite it as follows right?
x+ iy- 2ix +2= -9+ 2i

King_Silver said:
when you multiply both those together you get -2i2y but because i2 = -1 you get 2ix + 2? :/
Then you can rewrite it as follows right?
x+ iy- 2ix +2= -9+ 2i
What happened to the y when you multiplied 2i by -iy ?

SteamKing said:
What happened to the y when you multiplied 2i by -iy ?
(2i)(x-iy)

(2i)(x) + (2i)(-iy)

2ix - 2i^2y (i^2 = -1)

2ix +2y whoops sorry. Is that better?

King_Silver said:
(2i)(x-iy)

(2i)(x) + (2i)(-iy)

2ix - 2i^2y (i^2 = -1)

2ix +2y whoops sorry. Is that better?
Yep.

SteamKing said:
Yep.
x + iy +2ix +2y = -9 + 2i

Now I want to put Re numbers with Re numbers and the I am with the I am numbers so...
x + 2y + 9 = -2ix -iy +2i

Am I making progress here? :)

King_Silver said:
x + iy +2ix +2y = -9 + 2i

Now I want to put Re numbers with Re numbers and the I am with the I am numbers so...
x + 2y + 9 = -2ix -iy +2i

Am I making progress here? :)
A little, but it's all jumbled up.

Remember, you want to equate the real parts on the left side of the equation with the real parts on the other, namely the -9 + 2i quantity. Same for the complex parts.
You turn the original equation into two new equations in this process.

SteamKing said:
A little, but it's all jumbled up.

Remember, you want to equate the real parts on the left side of the equation with the real parts on the other, namely the -9 + 2i quantity. Same for the complex parts.
You turn the original equation into two new equations in this process.

So in other words, keep it like in this form: x + iy +2ix +2y = -9 + 2i
Then equate Re with Re and I am with I am so for example, the Real parts in this case...

x + 2y = -9 ?

King_Silver said:
So in other words, keep it like in this form: x + iy +2ix +2y = -9 + 2i
Then equate Re with Re and I am with I am so for example, the Real parts in this case...

x + 2y = -9 ?
Yep. And do the same for the imaginary parts. You should wind up with two equations in two unknowns. Solve for x and y.

Likes King_Silver
SteamKing said:
Yep. And do the same for the imaginary parts. You should wind up with two equations in two unknowns. Solve for x and y.
x+2y = -9
2x + y = 2

Solve simultaneously and I should get the value of x and y to be fractions, then it will look something like x = a/b, y = c/di
z = a/b + c/di where a,b,c,d represent numbers? :)

King_Silver said:
x+2y = -9
2x + y = 2

Solve simultaneously and I should get the value of x and y to be fractions, then it will look something like x = a/b, y = c/di
z = a/b + c/di where a,b,c,d represent numbers? :)
Yes. And you can check your calculations by substituting the values of x and y back into the original equation.

Likes King_Silver
SteamKing said:
Yes. And you can check your calculations by substituting the values of x and y back into the original equation.
Woo :D I understand now! thanks! huge help! now for Question b.
As HallsofIvy said above, |z-9+9i| can be written in the form √x^2 + y^2. However in |z-9+9i| I have 3 variables, a z, a real number and an imaginary number. do I just replace the z with x+iy again in this case?

King_Silver said:
Woo :D I understand now! thanks! huge help! now for Question b.
As HallsofIvy said above, |z-9+9i| can be written in the form √x^2 + y^2. However in |z-9+9i| I have 3 variables, a z, a real number and an imaginary number. do I just replace the z with x+iy again in this case?
Yes. The definition z = x + iy can always be used.

Likes King_Silver
SteamKing said:
Yes. The definition z = x + iy can always be used.
Sorry for the late response I was studying.
|z-9+9i| = |x+iy-9+9i|
|z-6+3i| = |x+iy-6+3i|
|x+iy-9+9i| = |x+iy-6+3i| or √(-9+x)^2 + (9i +iy)^2 = √(-6+x)^2 + (3i+iy)^2

Is this correct?

HallsofIvy said:
No, you rewrite it as x+ iy- 2i(x- iy)= -9+ 2i. Do you see the difference?

Why did the +2i become a -2i actually? what is the reasoning behind this?

King_Silver said:
Sorry for the late response I was studying.
|z-9+9i| = |x+iy-9+9i|
|z-6+3i| = |x+iy-6+3i|
|x+iy-9+9i| = |x+iy-6+3i| or √(-9+x)^2 + (9i +iy)^2 = √(-6+x)^2 + (3i+iy)^2

Is this correct?
Not quite.

When calculating the absolute value |z|, that is defined as |z| = |x + iy| = ##\sqrt{x^2 + y^2}##

Note that only the y value is used in the calculation, not iy.

SteamKing said:
Not quite.

When calculating the absolute value |z|, that is defined as |z| = |x + iy| = ##\sqrt{x^2 + y^2}##

Note that only the y value is used in the calculation, not iy.

so |z-9+9i| would be rewritten as √9^2+9^2 ? or as √x^2 + y^2 , +9+9i

King_Silver said:
so |z-9+9i| would be rewritten as √9^2+9^2 ? or as √x^2 + y^2 , +9+9i

No. If the complex number w = z - 9 + 9i, then in order to write |w|, we collect real and imaginary terms separately first.

Using the definition z = x + iy, then w = (x - 9) + i * (y + 9), so that ##|w| = \sqrt{(x-9)^2+ (y+9)^2}##, according to the definition of absolute value for complex numbers.

SteamKing said:
No. If the complex number w = z - 9 + 9i, then in order to write |w|, we collect real and imaginary terms separately first.

Using the definition z = x + iy, then w = (x - 9) + i * (y + 9), so that ##|w| = \sqrt{(x-9)^2+ (y+9)^2}##, according to the definition of absolute value for complex numbers.
Ok that makes more sense now.
So for
w = z -9+9i, |w| = |x+iy -9 +9i| or |w| = √(x-9)^2 + (y+9)^2
w = z -6+3i, |w| = |x+iy -6 +3i| or |w| = √(x-6)^2 + (y+3)^2

Both of these are equal each other. so...
√(x-9)^2 + (y+9)^2 = √(x-6)^2 + (y+3)^2
√x^2 -18x+81 +y^2 +18y + 81 = √x^2-12x+36 + y^2 +6y+9

And to get rid of the square roots you square both sides right?
then gather ys together and xs together, solve for x = 0 to find y's value and y = 0 to solve for x's value
sub them in then?

King_Silver said:
Ok that makes more sense now.
So for
w = z -9+9i, |w| = |x+iy -9 +9i| or |w| = √(x-9)^2 + (y+9)^2
w = z -6+3i, |w| = |x+iy -6 +3i| or |w| = √(x-6)^2 + (y+3)^2

Both of these are equal each other. so...
√(x-9)^2 + (y+9)^2 = √(x-6)^2 + (y+3)^2
√x^2 -18x+81 +y^2 +18y + 81 = √x^2-12x+36 + y^2 +6y+9

And to get rid of the square roots you square both sides right?
Yes.
then gather ys together and xs together, solve for x = 0 to find y's value and y = 0 to solve for x's value
sub them in then?

You'll wind up with a quadratic in x = a quadratic in y, after collecting terms.

I think for part b) of the original question, you were supposed to be calculating m and c for a straight line. Don't lose sight of that.

SteamKing said:
Yes.You'll wind up with a quadratic in x = a quadratic in y, after collecting terms.

I think for part b) of the original question, you were supposed to be calculating m and c for a straight line. Don't lose sight of that.
Yea I have to find y =mx+c but I need to find out how to obtain the values of m and the values of c.

Would letting x = 0 be of any help for that?
like y = m(0) + c. That way m would cancel and c = y.

King_Silver said:
Yea I have to find y =mx+c but I need to find out how to obtain the values of m and the values of c.

Would letting x = 0 be of any help for that?
like y = m(0) + c. That way m would cancel and c = y.

Why not try it out for yourself, to see if it works?

Ray Vickson said:
Why not try it out for yourself, to see if it works?
I would, only problem is the workspace I am working with is horrible, its an online question generator my lecturer uses.
Pretty much he puts up the questions for practice, you enter your answer only and then submit but only after submitting can you know if it is right or wrong.
If it happens to be wrong, I need to restart EVERY question from scratch over and over due to the random number generator. It is a pain in the ass so I want to know are my methods correct before I keep submitting the same nonsense over and over again without actually learning anything.

King_Silver said:
I would, only problem is the workspace I am working with is horrible, its an online question generator my lecturer uses.
Pretty much he puts up the questions for practice, you enter your answer only and then submit but only after submitting can you know if it is right or wrong.
If it happens to be wrong, I need to restart EVERY question from scratch over and over due to the random number generator. It is a pain in the ass so I want to know are my methods correct before I keep submitting the same nonsense over and over again without actually learning anything.

Can't you use scrap paper first, then copy out the solution?

For Question A of the original post I got: -13/3+20/3*i
For Question
Ray Vickson said:
Can't you use scrap paper first, then copy out the solution?

Will I write out my questions on paper, my attempt at the solutions alongside them. I think that would be more beneficial for myself and the people trying to help me, I don't think I am doing myself any favours at the moment. I'll write out the questions there and my attempts at them :) be back in a bit

Here are my 3 Questions so far:
Q1 and Q3 on the images represent the 2 I asked in the OP. The Q2 is one I have done myself and I believe to be right. Is this any better?

Attachments

• 12647910_935059573214463_203142641_n.jpg
    12647910_935059573214463_203142641_n.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 345
  • 12660285_935059586547795_519599338_n.jpg
    12660285_935059586547795_519599338_n.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 250
  • 12665747_935059553214465_65719789_n.jpg
    12665747_935059553214465_65719789_n.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 375
King_Silver said:
Here are my 3 Questions so far:
Q1 and Q3 on the images represent the 2 I asked in the OP. The Q2 is one I have done myself and I believe to be right. Is this any better?

any help? :)

1. What are complex numbers and why are they important in math?

Complex numbers are numbers that contain both a real and imaginary part. They are important in math because they allow us to solve equations that cannot be solved with real numbers alone. They also have many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How do you solve for z in a complex number equation?

To solve for z in a complex number equation, you must isolate z on one side of the equation and simplify the other side. This may involve using algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. It is also important to remember the properties of complex numbers, such as the fact that the square root of -1 is represented by the imaginary number i.

3. What is the perpendicular bisector of a complex number equation?

The perpendicular bisector of a complex number equation is a line that divides the complex plane into two equal parts and is perpendicular to the line connecting the two complex numbers in the equation. It represents all the points that are equidistant from the two complex numbers in the equation.

4. How do you find the perpendicular bisector of a complex number equation?

To find the perpendicular bisector of a complex number equation, you can use the midpoint formula to find the coordinates of the midpoint between the two complex numbers. Then, you can use the slope formula to find the slope of the line connecting the two complex numbers. Finally, you can use the negative reciprocal of the slope to find the slope of the perpendicular bisector, and use the coordinates of the midpoint to write the equation of the line.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving complex number equations and finding perpendicular bisectors?

Complex number equations and perpendicular bisectors have many real-world applications. For example, in engineering, they are used to analyze alternating current circuits and electromagnetic fields. In physics, they are used to solve problems involving waves and vibrations. In economics, they are used to model supply and demand curves. They also have applications in computer graphics and navigation systems.