Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex number subgroup

1. Feb 7, 2012 #1
    Well I generally haven an idea about subgroup of a group and generators. But I fail to understand following:
    ({1,-1,i,-i},X)
    I can see
    <1>={1}
    <-1>={-1,1}
    <i>={i,-1,-i,1}
    But simply have no idea about <-i>
    How can you work with -i?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2012 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You would get more responses if you could explain your terminology. < >, { , , , }, etc.

4. Feb 7, 2012 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Calculate [itex]-i[/itex], [itex](-i)^2[/itex], [itex](-i)^3[/itex], and so on...

5. Feb 8, 2012 #4
    Yes but that's what I don't know how to because -i is imagery number that's is - sq rt of 1? Isn't it ?

6. Feb 8, 2012 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The multiplication rule for complex numbers is clear:

[tex](a+bi)(c+di)=(ac-bd)+(bc+ad)i[/tex]

by definition.

7. Feb 8, 2012 #6
    Ok i will try and see if I nail this. Will get back to you thanks foe guiding

8. Feb 8, 2012 #7
    Not much luck. Basically I need to work out subgroups generated by this group and I am going all mad in sign area

9. Feb 9, 2012 #8

Deveno

Science Advisor

you already know that -i = i3, right?

and you already know that i4 = 1 as well, correct?

so (-i)2 = (i3)2 = i6 = (i4)(i2) = i2 = -1.

now try to deduce what (-i)3 and (-i)4 should be.

10. Feb 9, 2012 #9
    Oh I worked it out thanks. But I have another question. I would like to attached a typed word doc it's easy then typing all Maths. Do you have e mail I can talk to you directly ? If u don't mind.

11. Feb 9, 2012 #10

Deveno

Science Advisor

my policy (i can't speak for other forum members), is to respond to the first private message in order to request that people ask their questions on the forum. if someone persists, i block them.

i don't mean to be harsh, but that's the way i do things. if you want to post an image file, there are ways to do that on these forums (use the "Advanced" tab when posting, and be sure to preview your post to make sure you have done so correctly).

"math typing" is handled on these forums through Latex. there is a stickied guide to Latex HERE:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=546968

12. Feb 9, 2012 #11

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It's ok to report people who bother you. The behaviour is unacceptable.

To the OP: you can attach the word document in a post if you want.

13. Feb 10, 2012 #12
    I am fairly new so I didn't mean to bother anyone. If that's how this comes across apologies. I have not used latex so thought sending file will be quicker. That's all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook