Solving Argand Diagram: Finding z + w = -4+3i

In summary, the student tries to solve a homework problem involving the argument of a complex number, but finds the process more difficult than expected. They succeed in arriving at the correct answer by using the distance formula and the properties of logs.
thereddevils

Homework Statement

Given that arg(z/(1-i))=pi/2, find the argument of z.

Sketch , in the Argand diagram , the set of points representing z and the point representing the complex number w=-4+3i. Hence deduce the least value of |z+4-3i|

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let z=a+bi

Rationalising z/(1-i)=(a-b)/2+(a+b)/2 i

negative pi/2 suggest that the point is on the negative y-axis.

tan pi/2 = [(a-b)/2]/[(a+b)/2]

hence a=b

And since (a+b)/2 is negative, a<0 , b<0

so z=a+ai or b+bi

(a,a) is in the third quadrant, and the argument of z is -3pi/4

I have no problem in sketching. The problem i have is with the last part.

Any pointers?

Physics news on Phys.org
Given that arg(z/(1-i))=pi/2...
...negative pi/2 suggest that the point is on the negative y-axis.

So which is it, [itex]\pi/2[/itex] or [itex]-\pi/2[/itex]?

You can solve the first faster and easier by using [tex]arg\left(\frac{a}{b}\right)=arg(a)-arg(b)[/tex]

The least value of [tex]|z+4-3i|[/tex] is saying what point z where [tex]arg(z)=\frac{-3\pi}{4}[/tex] thus z=a(1+i), a<0 is closest to the point (-4+3i)? If you think about this in cartesian coordinates, z lies on the line y=x where x<0. Now all you have to do is find out the closest distance between the point (-4,3) and the line y=x.
The problem could even be simplified using logic since we know the line connecting the shortest distance between z and the point is at right angles so the gradient of the line is -1.

Mentallic said:
So which is it, [itex]\pi/2[/itex] or [itex]-\pi/2[/itex]?

You can solve the first faster and easier by using [tex]arg\left(\frac{a}{b}\right)=arg(a)-arg(b)[/tex]

Is this the property of arguments? Looks to be similar to the property of logs.

The least value of [tex]|z+4-3i|[/tex] is saying what point z where [tex]arg(z)=\frac{-3\pi}{4}[/tex] thus z=a(1+i), a<0 is closest to the point (-4+3i)? If you think about this in cartesian coordinates, z lies on the line y=x where x<0. Now all you have to do is find out the closest distance between the point (-4,3) and the line y=x.
The problem could even be simplified using logic since we know the line connecting the shortest distance between z and the point is at right angles so the gradient of the line is -1.

thanks Mentallic.

thereddevils said:
Is this the property of arguments? Looks to be similar to the property of logs.

It sure does :smile:

If you want to prove it, let [tex]x=r cis\theta[/tex] and [tex]y=Rcis\phi[/tex] and then rationalize x/y and use some properties of trigonometry to simplify it down.

It is precisely a "property of logarithms" because the argument of a complex number is a property of exponentials.

Write complex number a, with magnitude [itex]r_1[/itex] and argument [itex]\theta_1[/itex], in the form [itex]r_1e^{i\theta_1}[/itex] and the complex number b, with magnitude [itex]r_2[/itex] and argument [itex]\theta_2[/itex], in the form [itex]r_2e^{i\theta_2}[/itex].

Then
[tex]\frac{a}{b}= \frac{r_1e^{i\theta_1}}{r_2e^{i\theta_2}}= \frac{r_1}{r_2}\frac{e^{i\theta_1}}{e^{i\theta_2}}= \frac{r_1}{r_2}e^{i(\theta_1- \theta_2)}}[/tex]

That is, the magnitude of a/b is [itex]r_1/r_2[/itex] and its argument is [itex]\theta_1- \theta_2[/itex].

And another student discovers the miracles of Euler's formula.

HallsofIvy said:
It is precisely a "property of logarithms" because the argument of a complex number is a property of exponentials.

Write complex number a, with magnitude [itex]r_1[/itex] and argument [itex]\theta_1[/itex], in the form [itex]r_1e^{i\theta_1}[/itex] and the complex number b, with magnitude [itex]r_2[/itex] and argument [itex]\theta_2[/itex], in the form [itex]r_2e^{i\theta_2}[/itex].

Then
[tex]\frac{a}{b}= \frac{r_1e^{i\theta_1}}{r_2e^{i\theta_2}}= \frac{r_1}{r_2}\frac{e^{i\theta_1}}{e^{i\theta_2}}= \frac{r_1}{r_2}e^{i(\theta_1- \theta_2)}}[/tex]

That is, the magnitude of a/b is [itex]r_1/r_2[/itex] and its argument is [itex]\theta_1- \theta_2[/itex].

Thanks Hallsofivy, and wow how long have you been on this forum?You have made 27000 posts!

Is the answer for the least value sqrt(53/2) ?

No not quite. Show us what you did.

Mentallic said:
No not quite. Show us what you did.

I drew a diagram, with right angled triangle WOZ. Using the perpendicular gradients,

(a/a)((3-a)/(-4-a))=-1

a=-1/2

Then i proceed to find the distance between (-4,3) and (-1/2,-1/2) which gives that answer.

Ok so you set up your question properly, you just used the distance formula incorrectly.

[tex]d=\sqrt{(x_2-x_1)^2+(y_2-y_1)^2}[/tex]

Where [tex](x_1,y_1)=(-1/2,-1/2)[/tex] and [tex](x_2,y_2)=(-4,3)[/tex]

I can think of some other ways to solve this problem which might be of interest to you.

So we have [tex]d=\sqrt{(x-4)^2+(y+3)^2}[/tex] to denote the distance from the point(4,-3) to a circle's circumference with that centre and radius d. We also have the equation y=x so if we plug y into the distance equation and simplify we get [tex]d=\sqrt{2x^2-2x+25}[/tex] but we want to find the minimum distance so we want the minimum value of the quadratic under the sq.root. Just use some calculus and you'll find x=1/2, which can be substituted back into the distance equation to give you the answer.

Mentallic said:
Ok so you set up your question properly, you just used the distance formula incorrectly.

[tex]d=\sqrt{(x_2-x_1)^2+(y_2-y_1)^2}[/tex]

Where [tex](x_1,y_1)=(-1/2,-1/2)[/tex] and [tex](x_2,y_2)=(-4,3)[/tex]

I can think of some other ways to solve this problem which might be of interest to you.

So we have [tex]d=\sqrt{(x-4)^2+(y+3)^2}[/tex] to denote the distance from the point(4,-3) to a circle's circumference with that centre and radius d. We also have the equation y=x so if we plug y into the distance equation and simplify we get [tex]d=\sqrt{2x^2-2x+25}[/tex] but we want to find the minimum distance so we want the minimum value of the quadratic under the sq.root. Just use some calculus and you'll find x=1/2, which can be substituted back into the distance equation to give you the answer.

thanks Mentallic, it can also be solved using trigonometry and vectors.

Yep, and if you go back to precalculus class they would be using a specific distance formula for the distance between a point and a line :wink:

By the way, I have no idea why this was moved to the precalc forum.

thereddevils said:
Thanks Hallsofivy, and wow how long have you been on this forum?You have made 27000 posts!

I started last night and, boy, are my fingers tired!:rofl:

Halls, an average of 10 posts per day for the passed 7 years... umm... just one question. Assuming you have to take a break once a year or so, for christmas maybe :wink: how many posts have you made on your big days? I'm suspecting you spammed the general forum like hell :tongue:

1. What is an Argand diagram?

An Argand diagram is a graphical representation of complex numbers, where the real part is plotted on the horizontal axis and the imaginary part is plotted on the vertical axis.

2. How do you solve for z and w in an Argand diagram?

To solve for z and w in an Argand diagram, you can use the geometric method or the algebraic method. The geometric method involves plotting the given complex numbers on the Argand diagram and visually determining the solution, while the algebraic method involves setting up equations and solving for the unknown variables.

3. What does it mean when z + w = -4+3i in an Argand diagram?

When z + w = -4+3i in an Argand diagram, it means that the sum of the two complex numbers z and w is equal to -4+3i. This can be represented as a vector from the origin to the point -4+3i on the Argand diagram.

4. How do you find the solution for z and w in an Argand diagram?

To find the solution for z and w in an Argand diagram, you can use the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions. The Pythagorean theorem can be used to find the length of the vector representing the complex number, while the trigonometric functions can be used to find the angle between the vector and the positive real axis.

5. Are there any other methods for solving Argand diagrams?

Yes, there are other methods for solving Argand diagrams such as the graphical method and the polar form method. The graphical method involves using the properties of similar triangles to determine the solution, while the polar form method involves converting the complex numbers to polar form and using properties of polar coordinates to solve for the unknown variables.