Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Complex Numbers 2

1. Sep 26, 2007 #1
    Consider the complex number z=e[tex]_{i\theta}[/tex] = cos[tex]\theta[/tex]+isin[tex]\theta.[/tex] By evaluating z[tex]^{2}[/tex] two different ways, prove the trig identities cos2[tex]\theta[/tex] = cos[tex]^{2}[/tex][tex]\theta[/tex] - sin[tex]^{2}[/tex][tex]\theta[/tex] and sin2[tex]\theta[/tex] = 2sin[tex]\theta[/tex]cos[tex]\theta[/tex].

A question about the approach to this question:
    How do you guys approach the task of 'evaluating' something, when told to do so, like here.
    I find myself doing random manipulations without knowledge of whether the road I'm on is even close to the correct path or not.
    Evaluate seems like such a general instruction...

Anyways,
    If I square z I get;
    z[tex]^{2}[/tex] = cos[tex]\theta[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex] + i[tex]^{2}[/tex]sin[tex]\theta[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex]

z[tex]^{2}[/tex] = cos[tex]\theta[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex] - sin[tex]\theta[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex]

If I sub z[tex]^{2}[/tex] back in I get 0 so that's wrong.

Is the use of the 'e definition' necessary for this? I kind of want to see how I ought to be approaching this 'evaluation'.

Thanks, as always

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2007 #2
    How??

If [tex]z = \cos{\theta}+\imath\sin{\theta}[/tex], then [tex]z^2 = \left(\cos{\theta}+\imath\sin{\theta}\right)^2 \neq \cos^2{\theta}+\imath^2\sin^2{\theta}[/tex].

Square that. Then use the other way of evaluating a complex number raised to some power, i.e., de Moiver's formula. Equate the two.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2007
  4. Sep 26, 2007 #3
    Am I allowed to do this?

isin[tex]\theta[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex]

=-sin[tex]\theta[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex] ?

5. Sep 26, 2007 #4
    The way you have written is quite ambiguous. But if you mean [tex]\left(\imath\sin{\theta}\right)^2[/tex], then it is equal to [tex]-\sin^2{\theta}[/tex].

P.S. You need not enclose each term of LaTeX code within 'tex' tags. It is enough if you do it for each line of code. Example: Enclosing this - \left(\imath\sin{\theta}\right)^2 - within tex tags will produce [tex]\left(\imath\sin{\theta}\right)^2[/tex]. :smile:

6. Sep 26, 2007 #5
    lol thanks!
    It just does that when I click the latex icon each time.. your saying you write it all out manually?

7. Sep 26, 2007 #6
    I'm still stuck with:

z[tex]^{2}[/tex] = cos[tex]^{2}[/tex][tex]\theta[/tex] + 2isin[tex]^{2}[/tex][tex]\theta[/tex] - sin[tex]^{2}[/tex][tex]\theta[/tex]

You'll see I still did it the long way if you quote:P

8. Sep 26, 2007 #7
    While I mostly do it manually(click n' latex is only a recent feature), I'm not asking you to do it manually.

When I click on any icon, what I get is that piece of code (say, \frac{}{} for fraction) within tex codes. The cursor is still within the those tags, so when I click on another icon, only its code is printed within the same set of tags. When I want to do a new line, I move the cursor outside the first set of tex tags.

9. Sep 26, 2007 #8
    Shouldn't it be [tex]\cos^2{\theta} + 2\imath\cos{\theta}\sin{\theta} - \sin^2{\theta}[/tex]?

10. Sep 26, 2007 #9

yeah, sorry. Typo

11. Sep 26, 2007 #10
    Did you also find the other expression using de Moivre's theorem/formula?

12. Sep 26, 2007 #11
    oh i equate the 2 just for one of the two im looking for? I thought that was for the other equation

13. Sep 26, 2007 #12
    What do you get when you equate the two?

14. Sep 26, 2007 #13
    I've gotten to

cos2[tex]\theta[/tex]=cos2[tex]\theta[/tex]-isin2[tex]\theta[/tex]+2isin[tex]\thetacos\theta[/tex]

15. Sep 26, 2007 #14
    im realizing now thats wrong isnt it..

16. Sep 26, 2007 #15
    When is a + ib = c + id? (a,b,c,d are real)

17. Sep 26, 2007 #16
    whennn...
    a=c, b=d?

18. Sep 26, 2007 #17
    Right.

So when you equate cos(2t) + isin(2t) and cos^2(t) + 2isin(t)cos(t) - sin^2(t)...?

(using 't' instead of theta.)

19. Sep 26, 2007 #18
    well if i use what im trying to prove,
    cos(2t) = cos^2(t)-sin^2(t)
    and sin(2t) = 2sintcost

20. Sep 26, 2007 #19
    but doesnt this method require that which im proving, to prove it?

21. Sep 26, 2007 #20
    No. You're just equating the real and imaginary parts of the complex numbers. All you're using is the definition of equality of two complex numbers. (a = c, b = d)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook