1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex numbers and Argan Diagram

1. Aug 26, 2005 #1
    I desperately need help with this qns:
    In an Argan Diagram, the points A, B, C, D represent the copmlex numbers a,b,c,d respectively. Guiven that ABCD is a rectangle describd in an anticlocwise sense, with AB=2CB, and a=-2-i, c=3+5i, find b and d
    (AB and CD are not parallel to the xaxis)

I've tried using dot product and gradient method, by letting B be (x,y), it all comes down to the equation y^2-4y-5+x^2-6-x=0 ---- (1)

|AC| = sqrt 61, and since ABC makes a right angled triangle, CB=1 unit, AB=2 units, therefore AB=sqrt 61 divided by sqrt5 multipled by 2 (pythagoras theorm)

Then i equate that sqrt61/sqrt5 x 2 to the magnitude of AB(i.e. sqrt((x+2)^2 + (y+1)^2) and equated this equation to equation 1 by elimination.

After which i ended up with a wierd answer for x. Pleas etell me where I;ve gone wrong!!

Any help is greatly appreciated, thnx loads!!
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?