1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex numbers and roots

1. Jan 30, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let z be a complex number satisfying the equation ##z^3-(3+i)z+m+2i=0##, where mεR. Suppose the equation has a real root, then find the value of m.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The equation has one real root which means that the other two roots are complex and are conjugates of each other.
    Let ##\alpha, \beta, \gamma## be the three roots. The coefficient of z^2 is zero.
    Hence ##\alpha+\beta+\gamma=0##. Let ##\gamma## be the real root and the other two are complex. The sum of the complex roots is zero. From here, i get ##\gamma=0##.
    Product of roots, ##\alpha \beta \gamma=m+2i=0##. This gives me ##m=-2i## which is incorrect as m is a real number.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Why? Their imaginary parts cancel, but the real parts do not have to.

Your approach is way too complicated. If the equation has a real root, there is a real z which satisfies the equation. What is the imaginary part of the left side? It has to be zero...
    This allows to calculate z and m.

4. Jan 30, 2013 #3
    Oops, sorry about that.

Do you mean I have to substitute z=x+iy and compare the real and imaginary parts?

5. Jan 30, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

What is the imaginary part of z^3 if z is real? What is the imaginary part of (3+i)z?
    m is real, and the imaginary part of 2i is obvious.

6. Jan 30, 2013 #5
    Thanks a lot mfb! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook