1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex numbers (arg)

1. Aug 25, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need help on a little review please. z=2-i What is arg(iz)

2. Relevant equations

Well iz= 1+2i

3. The attempt at a solution

I think this should end up being arg(2i/1) But this doesn't seem to make sense because I am wanting to find an angle here right? I am somewhat confused. This is supposed to be an inverse tangent type problem, correct?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2010 #2
    I am thinking now that this should be something like 3pi/8 but I can't explain my logic....
  4. Aug 26, 2010 #3

Homework Helper

It's simple trigonometry if you take a look at a complex number on the argand diagram. The argument of the complex number is the angle between the vector and the x-axis. The vector is just a line between the origin and the complex number.

So, [tex]arg(a+ib)=tan^{-1}(b/a)[/tex]
  5. Aug 26, 2010 #4
    Ok. Doesn't that mean that it would be tan-1(2) which would be 1.107?
  6. Aug 26, 2010 #5

Science Advisor

No, it doesn't! The arg of a+ bi is the angle the line from 0 to a+bi, thought of as points in the complex plane (a+ bi-> (a, b)) makes with the positive real axis. Specifically it is, as [itex]tan^{-1}(b/a)[/itex] as Mentallic says.

But your number is z= 2- i. a= 2 and b= -1, NOT a= 1 and b= 2 as you seem to think.
  7. Aug 26, 2010 #6
    Yeah but the question is what is What is arg(iz) so doesn't that mean that I mult i times 2-i to give me 1+2i?

I think what you just said would be for arg(z). correct?
  8. Aug 26, 2010 #7

Science Advisor

Sorry, my fault, I didn't read the problem carefully enough. If z= 2- i then iz= 2i+ 1 so, yes, the arg of 1+ 2i is, in fact, [itex]tan^{-1}(2)[/itex].
  9. Aug 26, 2010 #8
    Ok. Thanks!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook