1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex numbers - factors

1. Jul 9, 2016 #1

Rectifier

Gold Member

The problem
    The following equation ##z^4-2z^3+12z^2-14z+35=0## has a root with the real component = 1. What are the other solutions?

The attempt
    This means that solutions are ##z = 1 \pm bi##and the factors are ##(z-(1-bi))(z-(1+bi)) ## and thus ## (z-(1-bi))(z-(1+bi)) = z^2-z(1+bi)-z(1-bi)+(1-bi)(1+bi) = \\ = z^2 -z -zbi -z +zbi + 2 = z^2-2z+2 ##.

I tried to divide ##z^4-2z^3+12z^2-14z+35## with ## z^2-2z+2## but I get the quotient ##z^2 + 10## and rest ##6z + 15##

I have also tried to solve ##z^2-2z+2 = 0## and got ## z=1 \pm i ##, thus ## b = \pm 1 ##. But that is wrong according to key in my book.

Please help :,(

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2016 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Substitute ##z = 1+i b## into the original equation. You will get a complex 4th degree polyomial in the new variable ##b##. Equating its real and imaginary parts to zero (assuming ##b## is real) you get two equations for ##b##, and one of them is easy to solve.

4. Jul 9, 2016 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Your mistake is above. (1 + bi)(1 - bi) ≠ 2.

5. Jul 9, 2016 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is wrong. Try again.

Your method will work if you divide by the correct product of (z-1+bi)(z-1-bi). It must contain b!

6. Jul 10, 2016 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It may help to rewrite (z−1+bi)(z−1−bi) as:
    ##\displaystyle \left((z-1)+bi \right)\left((z-1)-bi \right)\,, ##​
    which is a sum times a difference, thus the difference of squares .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted