1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex numbers- HELP!

1. Aug 26, 2005 #1
    I desperately need help with this qns:
    In an Argan Diagram, the points A, B, C, D represent the copmlex numbers a,b,c,d respectively. Guiven that ABCD is a rectangle describd in an anticlocwise sense, with AB=2CB, and a=-2-i, c=3+5i, find b and d

Any help is greatly appreciated, thnx loads!!
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2005 #2
    Just draw a picture if your not sure and then it should be easy to see
  4. Aug 26, 2005 #3
    I have! i've drawn the diagramme but i carn solve it and neither can my dad. I;m sorry, can u help me please? I;m doing Alvl pure maths (not further) by the way. thnx!
  5. Aug 26, 2005 #4
    so if you plot the points, b lies somewhere on x=3 and d somewhere on x=-2

and all the lines are perpendicular, so you can work out the i values of the point b and d
  6. Aug 26, 2005 #5
    nono, but AB doesnt have to be horizontal (i.e. parallel to the x axis) the rectangle can and probably would be slanted. the condition given is AB=2CD. if AB and CD are parallel to the xaxis the condition is not satisfied
  7. Aug 26, 2005 #6

Homework Helper

So: you have [itex]AB = 2BC \Rightarrow AB ^ 2 = 4 BC ^ 2 [/itex]
    ABC is the right triangle. You also have the length of AC. What does this suggest you?
    Let [itex]b = x_B + iy_B[/itex]
    So [itex]B(x_B, y_B)[/itex]
    You also have [tex]\overrightarrow{BA}\overrightarrow{BC} = 0[/tex]
    So you will come up with 2 equations:
    [tex]\left\{ \begin{array}{l} (x_B + 2)(y_B - 3) = -(y_B + 1)(y_B - 5) \\ AB ^ 2 = (x_B + 2) ^ 2 + (y_B + 1) ^ 2 = ... \end{array} \right.[/tex]
    From there you can solve for b, then d.
    Viet Dao,
  8. Aug 26, 2005 #7
    i did tht b4 i posted the qns. Tht;s where i got stuck cos the numbers were absurdly big and unfriendly, but its ok, I figured another way of doing already. thnx for ur help anyway!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?