Solving Complex Number Problems: Find b and d Using an Argand Diagram

In summary, the points A, B, C, D represent the copmlex numbers a,b,c,d respectively. Guiven that ABCD is a rectangle describd in an anticlocwise sense, with AB=2CB, and a=-2-i, c=3+5i, find b and d. Any help is greatly appreciated, thnx loads!Just draw a picture if your not sure and then it should be easy to seeI have! I've drawn the diagramme but i carn solve it and neither can my dad. I;m sorry, can u help me please? I;m doing Alvl pure maths (not further) by the way. thnx!so
coffeebeans
Hi,
I desperately need help with this qns:
In an Argan Diagram, the points A, B, C, D represent the copmlex numbers a,b,c,d respectively. Guiven that ABCD is a rectangle describd in an anticlocwise sense, with AB=2CB, and a=-2-i, c=3+5i, find b and d

Any help is greatly appreciated, thnx loads!

Physics news on Phys.org
Just draw a picture if your not sure and then it should be easy to see

I have! I've drawn the diagramme but i carn solve it and neither can my dad. I;m sorry, can u help me please? I;m doing Alvl pure maths (not further) by the way. thnx!

so if you plot the points, b lies somewhere on x=3 and d somewhere on x=-2

and all the lines are perpendicular, so you can work out the i values of the point b and d

nono, but AB doesn't have to be horizontal (i.e. parallel to the x axis) the rectangle can and probably would be slanted. the condition given is AB=2CD. if AB and CD are parallel to the xaxis the condition is not satisfied

So: you have [itex]AB = 2BC \Rightarrow AB ^ 2 = 4 BC ^ 2 [/itex]
ABC is the right triangle. You also have the length of AC. What does this suggest you?
Let [itex]b = x_B + iy_B[/itex]
So [itex]B(x_B, y_B)[/itex]
You also have [tex]\overrightarrow{BA}\overrightarrow{BC} = 0[/tex]
So you will come up with 2 equations:
[tex]\left\{ \begin{array}{l} (x_B + 2)(y_B - 3) = -(y_B + 1)(y_B - 5) \\ AB ^ 2 = (x_B + 2) ^ 2 + (y_B + 1) ^ 2 = ... \end{array} \right.[/tex]
From there you can solve for b, then d.
Viet Dao,

i did tht b4 i posted the qns. Tht;s where i got stuck cos the numbers were absurdly big and unfriendly, but its ok, I figured another way of doing already. thnx for ur help anyway!

What are complex numbers and why do we use them?

Complex numbers are numbers that have two parts: a real part and an imaginary part. They are written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part. We use complex numbers to solve equations that involve the square root of negative numbers, which cannot be solved using real numbers alone.

How do we add and subtract complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, we simply add or subtract the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. For example, (3 + 2i) + (5 + 4i) = (3 + 5) + (2i + 4i) = 8 + 6i. Similarly, (3 + 2i) - (5 + 4i) = (3 - 5) + (2i - 4i) = -2 - 2i.

Can we multiply and divide complex numbers?

Yes, we can multiply and divide complex numbers using the FOIL method (First, Outer, Inner, Last). For example, (3 + 2i)(5 + 4i) = 15 + 12i + 10i + 8i^2 = 15 + 22i - 8 = 7 + 22i. And to divide complex numbers, we multiply the numerator and denominator by the complex conjugate of the denominator. For example, (3 + 2i) / (5 + 4i) = (3 + 2i)(5 - 4i) / (5 + 4i)(5 - 4i) = (15 - 8i + 10i - 8i^2) / (25 - 16i^2) = (7 + 2i) / 41.

What are complex conjugates and why are they important?

The complex conjugate of a complex number is formed by changing the sign of the imaginary part. For example, the complex conjugate of 3 + 4i is 3 - 4i. They are important because when we multiply a complex number by its conjugate, the resulting number is always a real number. This property is useful in simplifying complex expressions and solving equations.

Can complex numbers be plotted on a graph?

Yes, complex numbers can be plotted on a graph using a coordinate system called the complex plane. The real part of the complex number is plotted on the x-axis and the imaginary part is plotted on the y-axis. The point where the two axes intersect is called the origin and corresponds to the complex number 0 + 0i. This allows us to visualize complex numbers and perform geometric operations on them.