I Complex numbers of QM

• Thread starter Zaya Bell
  • Start date
I just need to know. Why exactly what's the complex number i=√–1 put in the wave function for matter. Couldn't it have just been exp(kx–wt)?

hilbert2

Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I just need to know. Why exactly what's the complex number i=√–1 put in the wave function for matter. Couldn't it have just been exp(kx–wt)?
It's not possible to normalize that kind of a real-valued exponential function. The Schroedinger equation is a complex diffusion equation, and the complex numbers make it possible to obtain wave-like behavior (wavepackets reflecting from walls, etc.) instead of the simple dissipative dynamics of ordinary diffusion where the solution is a real function.

fresh_42

Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award
Is it a periodic function without the ##i## which we would expect from a wave? You may want to look up the connection between the sine (cosine) function and the exponential function.

Khashishi

Science Advisor
Sure, you can have parts of the wavefunction look like exp(kx-wt), but not the whole thing. If you consider a WKB approximation for the time independent Schrodinger equation, you get solutions that look like
##\exp(\sqrt{2m(V-E)})##
which looks like an exponential where V > E and an oscillation where E > V. You aren't allowed to have V > E for the whole wavefunction, because, as hilbert2 noted, it is not possible to normalize. But, for a bound state of a delta potential (V < 0), you have a double exponential solution https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_potential.

As far as the time part, you get exponential decay for various decay processes.

Thank you all.