1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Numbers problem

1. Apr 30, 2014 #1
    If a is a complex number, and a^2-a+1=0, then a^2011=?

I tried using De Moivre's theorem, Taking a=cosθ+isinθ, but didn't get anywhere, got stuck at
    cos2θ+isin2θ-cosθ-isinθ+1=0. What do I do?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2014 #2
    First you should solve the equation for 'a'. After that, you can calculate the argumentum and the abs. value of 'a', resulting in a = r*(cos(theta) + i* sin(theta)). Finally, apply De Moivre for calculating a^2011.

4. Apr 30, 2014 #3

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

a=cosθ+isinθ assumes that |a| = 1. That is wrong unless you already know that |a| = 1.

You can just solve the quadratic equation for a (using the standard formula) to get the real and imaginary parts.

5. Apr 30, 2014 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you know the factorization of ##\ a^3+1\ ?##

6. Apr 30, 2014 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It might be difficult to guess that clever trick. Here's another way. You know a^2=a-1. Can you find a simple expression for a^3?

7. May 1, 2014 #6
    Dude, first find the complex number "a" by using quadratic formula. Then you convert it to "cis" notation, and then you finally apply De Moivre's theorem.

8. May 3, 2014 #7

lurflurf

Homework Helper

##a^{2011}=a^{6\cdot 335+1}=(a^6)^{335}a##
    What is ##a^6##?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted