Complex numbers problems | Solving equations using polar form

In summary, the conversation discusses solving an equation in the complex numbers set. The equation is |z|-z=1+2i and the solution is found to be 3/2-2i. Two methods are suggested to solve the equation, one involving replacing the values of |z| and z and equating real and imaginary coefficients, and the other using e and phi.
Broken Steel

Homework Statement

Solve the equation in the complex numbers set (this is as best as i could translate since English is not my native language :D)

[tex]\left|z\right|-z=1+2i[/tex]

Homework Equations

|z|=sqrt{x^2+y^2}

z=x+iy

The Attempt at a Solution

Well i started by supposing y=1 and then i get sqrt{x^2+1}-x=1-i+x
i tried to square the whole equation but i end up with nothing.. So what should I do??

Oh and the solution is 3/2 - 2i

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Broken Steel! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ and a phi: φ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Hint: re :smile:

How about this way?
[tex]\left|z\right|-z=1+2i[/tex]

Replace the |z| and z by the values you specified above:
[tex]\sqrt{x^2+y^2} - (x + yi) = 1 + 2i[/tex]

Remove the parentheses, and then equate the real coefficients and the imaginary coefficients.

tiny-tim said:
Hi Broken Steel! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ and a phi: φ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Hint: re :smile:

Likes this method because it is more useful for dealing with complex numbers.

Also, eumyang's is probably a more familiar method.

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that contain both a real and imaginary component. They are expressed in the form a + bi, where a is the real part, b is the imaginary part, and i is the imaginary unit equal to the square root of -1.

2. How do you add or subtract complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, you simply combine like terms. For example, (2 + 3i) + (4 + 2i) = (2+4) + (3i+2i) = 6 + 5i. When subtracting, you can distribute a negative sign to the second complex number and then combine like terms.

3. What is the conjugate of a complex number?

The conjugate of a complex number is formed by changing the sign of the imaginary part. For example, the conjugate of 3 + 4i is 3 - 4i. The product of a complex number and its conjugate always results in a real number.

4. How do you multiply complex numbers?

To multiply complex numbers, you can use the FOIL method, just like you would with binomials. For example, (2 + 3i)(4 + 2i) = 8 + 4i + 12i + 6i^2 = 8 + 16i - 6 = 2 + 16i.

5. What is the geometric interpretation of complex numbers?

Complex numbers can be represented on a 2-dimensional plane known as the complex plane. The real component is represented on the x-axis and the imaginary component is represented on the y-axis. This allows for a geometric interpretation of complex numbers as points on a plane, and operations such as addition and multiplication can be visualized as transformations on this plane.