1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex numbers, proof.

1. Mar 24, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello

Assume that we have n complex numbers u: [itex]u_1,u_2,...,u_n[/itex], and n complex numbers v:[itex]v_1,v_2,....v_n[/itex]

I would like to prove that:
    [itex]|\Sigma_{i=1}^nRe(u_i\bar{v_i})| \le |\Sigma_{i=1}^nu_i\bar{v_i}|[/itex]

I guess this can be written simpler:
    [itex]|\Sigma_{i=1}^nRe(z_i)| \le |\Sigma_{i=1}^n z_i|[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    If n=1. I know that this obviously must hold. But When n is bigger than 1, I am not so sure how to show that it holds. It becomes quit messy, I tried moving the absolute value inside the sum, but id didn't work.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2014 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I suggest writing each ##z## (you omitted the index by the way) in terms of its real and imaginary components.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  4. Mar 24, 2014 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Hint:

[tex]\textrm{Re}(z+w) = \textrm{Re}(z) + \textrm{Re}(w)[/tex]

5. Mar 24, 2014 #4

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

By the way, when working with complex numbers, you should probably use some other letter for your index instead of ##i##, which is already reserved for ##\sqrt{-1}##. Unless you are one of those strange people who use ##j## for that purpose. :smile:

6. Mar 24, 2014 #5
    I got this:

[itex]|\Sigma z_j|=|\Sigma Re(z_j)+i*Im(z_j)|=|\Sigma Re(z_j)+i*\Sigma Im(z_j)|[/itex]

Now I would use the triangle inequality if I did not have the i. But I can still say that there is always so that the absolute value of the real part of a complex number must be less than the absolute value of the total number?

so I get

[itex]\ge |\Sigma Re(z_j)|[/itex]?

7. Mar 24, 2014 #6

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Consider working with the square of the magnitude. ##|a + ib|^2 = ???##

8. Mar 24, 2014 #7
    Do you mean that I should write [itex]c=|\Sigma z_j|[/itex], [itex]a=\Sigma Re(z_j)[/itex], [itex]b=\Sigma Im(z_j)[/itex]
    So then I get [itex]c=|a+bi|[/itex], squaring I get [itex]c^2=|a+ib|^2=a^2+b^2[/itex], then I get:

[itex]|\Sigma z_j|^2 = (\Sigma Re(z_j))^2+(\Sigma Im(z_j))^2[/itex], and since all are positive we must have that:

[itex]|\Sigma z_j| \ge |\Sigma Re(z_j)|[/itex]

9. Mar 24, 2014 #8

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, the key is that ##a^2 + b^2 \geq a^2##, so taking square roots of each side, we get ##\sqrt{a^2 + b^2} \geq \sqrt{a^2}##. The LHS of this inequality is ##|a + ib|## and the RHS is ##|a|##.

10. Mar 24, 2014 #9
    Thank you for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted