Complex numbers simplification

In summary, the homework statement states that Z is a complex number where Z1=4e^2pi/3 and Z2=2/60 degrees, and z3=1+i. The answer must be in polar form r/theta.
Mrencko
Member warned about posting unclear question with missing information

Homework Statement

[/B]
Z=((2z1)+(4z2))/(z1)(z2) where Z1=4e^2pi/3
Z2=2/60 degre, z3=1+i
The answer must be in polar form r/theta

Homework Equations

Well in the upper section

The Attempt at a Solution

After do some operations i get to this and unable to convert to polar form... - i((squarert3+1)/2) i need some help, the polar form go to infinite when i apply arctan(y/x)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The thread implies, the "question" or in this case an issue whit the problem stated at the start, so i need to convert my answer to polar form but i can't because one C/0 so i need to know if i have a good answer and its not possible to convert to polar or if i did some mistake in operating the complex numbers

Mrencko said:
The thread implies, the "question" or in this case an issue whit the problem stated at the start, so i need to convert my answer to polar form but i can't because one C/0 so i need to know if i have a good answer and its not possible to convert to polar or if i did some mistake in operating the complex numbers
We should not have to guess what your question is. A complete statement of the problem should be given in the body of the post which initiates the thread, no matter what is the thread's title.

I addition to that, It looks as if you have some typographical errors in the statement of your problem.

What do you mean by " Z2=2/60 degre, " ?

What is z3 to be used for?

Mrencko said:

Homework Statement

Z=((2z1)+(4z2))/(z1)(z2) where Z1=4e^2pi/3
Z2=2/60 degre, z3=1+i
The answer must be in polar form r/theta[/B]

Homework Equations

Well in the upper section

After do some operations i get to this and unable to convert to polar form... - i((squarert3+1)/2) i need some help, the polar form go to infinite when i apply arctan(y/x)

Oh sorry you are right z3 its for (2z1+4z3)/z1z2, and z2 its in the polar form
Where 2=r and 60=theta

z1 looks like it was written in a form close to being in polar form except that there is an i (imaginary unit) missing from the exponent.

Is it intended that ##\displaystyle \ z_1=4e^{2\pi i/3} \ ## ?

yes sorry again i assume the imaginary unit will be implicit in the exponential form of complex numbers, well doing my research, appears to be correct and the polar form will be: in the form Rθ being theta= -90 so tell me if i am correct, or incorrect please, just to finish properly my homework :)

Mrencko said:
yes sorry again i assume the imaginary unit will be implicit in the exponential form of complex numbers
No, that's not true. ##e^{2\pi/3}## is a real number, and ##e^{2i\pi/3}## is a complex number.

Sorry for that

Mrencko said:

Is that ##\displaystyle \ -i\frac{\sqrt{3}+1}{2}\ ##, or something else? (You have been a bit careless with parentheses.)

For what values of θ, is tan(θ) undefined (sort of like being infinite)?

Yes that its my finale answer, and for the indetermination of theta i use the form thetha=arctan(y/x) so if my answer its pure complex number, so y/0 its infinite right? For r the value exist for thetha doesn't exist

Being x the real part and y the complex in the form x+yi

Mrencko said:
Being x the real part and y the complex in the form x+yi
How do you convert polar form, let's say 2/60°, to the form, x + yi ?

Whit the form x=rcosthetha y=rsinthetha
To the form x+yi

Mrencko said:
Whit the form x=rcosthetha y=rsinthetha
To the form x+yi
Fine.

So what does θ need to be to get x = 0 and get y to be negative (actually -r) ?

It must be in 90 degres to get rcos90=0, but i don't get the think of - r

Mrencko said:
It must be in 90 degres to get rcos90=0, but i don't get the think of - r
Well sin(90°) = 1 , so 90° won't do what's needed.

What does θ need to be for sin(θ) = -1 ? What is cosine for this θ ?

I guess - 90 degrees to get the both answers

Mrencko said:
I guess - 90 degrees to get the both answers
Correct.

Does that work out for the problem you're working on in this thread?

Yes then i must say the polar form of my complex number its given by R=√((√3+1)/2)^2 and thetha=-90 degres by definition

Mrencko said:
Yes then i must say the polar form of my complex number its given by R=√((√3+1)/2)^2 and thetha=-90 degres by definition
Right.

You don't need R to be that complicated.

If ##\ a>0\,, \ ## then ##\ \left(\sqrt a\,\right)^2 =a\ .##

So ##\displaystyle \ R=\frac{1+\sqrt 3}{2}\ ##

Well i must say thanks, but only one more doubt, its the finale answer right? I mean before the conversion to polar

Mrencko said:
Well i must say thanks, but only one more doubt, its the finale answer right? I mean before the conversion to polar

Yes. That's what I got.

Ok thanks for the help, and sorry for the mistakes in the explanation of the problem

Mrencko said:
Ok thanks for the help, and sorry for the mistakes in the explanation of the problem
You're welcome.

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that contain both a real and an imaginary part. They are written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part, with i representing the square root of -1.

2. How do you simplify complex numbers?

To simplify a complex number, you can combine the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. For example, to simplify (3 + 2i) + (4 + 5i), you would add 3 and 4 to get 7 as the real part, and add 2i and 5i to get 7i as the imaginary part. The simplified complex number would then be 7 + 7i.

3. What is the difference between a real number and a complex number?

A real number is any number that can be found on the number line, and it does not have an imaginary part. Complex numbers, on the other hand, have both a real and an imaginary part and cannot be found on the number line.

4. Can you add or subtract complex numbers?

Yes, you can add or subtract complex numbers in the same way you add or subtract real numbers. You simply combine the real parts and the imaginary parts separately.

5. How do you multiply and divide complex numbers?

To multiply complex numbers, you can use the FOIL method, where you multiply the first terms, then the outer terms, then the inner terms, and finally the last terms. To divide complex numbers, you can multiply the numerator and denominator by the complex conjugate of the denominator, which is found by changing the sign of the imaginary part.