1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex numbers struggling

1. Jun 19, 2005 #1
    Hi I'm struggling with the following questions where I need to sketch Argand diagrams. I haven't had much exposure to a wide range of these sortsof questions before so I'm not finding the following to be all that easy. There are a couple and some help would be good, thanks.

1. |z| < Argz.

Would this look like a spiral of increasing 'radius.' Like a swirly shape starting at the origin? Would the origin be included? I ask this because I don't think I can have |z| < 0. :confused:

Note: -pi < Argz <= pi.

2. log|z| = -2Argz.

Would I just exponentiate both sides to get [tex]\left| z \right| = e^{ - 2Argz} [/tex] ?

If that's correct then what would the shape look like? Perhaps a 'circle' with a a varying radius?

3. [tex]0 < Arg\left( {z - 1 - i} \right) < \frac{\pi }{3}[/tex]

I don't know how to work with this one. The part, z - 1 - i just means the difference between z and (1+i) I think. Let z = x + yi so [tex]0 < Arg\left( {\left( {x - 1} \right) + i\left( {y - 1} \right)} \right) < \frac{\pi }{3}[/tex].

Any help is appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is kind of a strange question, because you say Arg(z) may be negative, and |z| < Arg(z), but |z| > 0. Doing this for the range 0 to pi, thenyes, you'll see a spiral of increasing radius. Note that |z| < Arg(z), not just |z| = Arg(z), so your spiral should be "coloured in."
    That's the right idea. For this type of problem (and the previous), just go through a few values of Arg(z), and figure out |z|, and plot your points. There's not really much room for confusion.
    If you set z = x + iy, try finding the boundaries. So find Arg(z - (1 + i)) = 0. You know that this will have to be on the real axis, so y = 1, and x will range from -1 up to infinity, so you'll get the ray terminating at (-1, 1) and extending towards the right. Do the same for Arg(z - (1+i)) = pi/3, and for some intermediate angles as well for good measure. My guess at first glance that it will look like something like a Chinese paper fan or the Shell gas shell with it's "center" or pivot (if you think about the fan) at (1,1).
  4. Jun 20, 2005 #3
    Thanks for your help.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?