Understanding Argand diagrams for complex numbers

In summary, the person is struggling with understanding Argand diagrams and has three specific questions regarding them. The first question involves a spiral with increasing radius, the second involves exponentiation, and the third involves finding boundaries on the real axis. The expert suggests plotting points to better understand the diagrams and provides advice on how to approach each question.
Benny
Hi I'm struggling with the following questions where I need to sketch Argand diagrams. I haven't had much exposure to a wide range of these sortsof questions before so I'm not finding the following to be all that easy. There are a couple and some help would be good, thanks.

1. |z| < Argz.

Would this look like a spiral of increasing 'radius.' Like a swirly shape starting at the origin? Would the origin be included? I ask this because I don't think I can have |z| < 0. :confused:

Note: -pi < Argz <= pi.

2. log|z| = -2Argz.

Would I just exponentiate both sides to get [tex]\left| z \right| = e^{ - 2Argz} [/tex] ?

If that's correct then what would the shape look like? Perhaps a 'circle' with a a varying radius?

3. [tex]0 < Arg\left( {z - 1 - i} \right) < \frac{\pi }{3}[/tex]

I don't know how to work with this one. The part, z - 1 - i just means the difference between z and (1+i) I think. Let z = x + yi so [tex]0 < Arg\left( {\left( {x - 1} \right) + i\left( {y - 1} \right)} \right) < \frac{\pi }{3}[/tex].

Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Benny said:
1. |z| < Argz.
This is kind of a strange question, because you say Arg(z) may be negative, and |z| < Arg(z), but |z| > 0. Doing this for the range 0 to pi, thenyes, you'll see a spiral of increasing radius. Note that |z| < Arg(z), not just |z| = Arg(z), so your spiral should be "coloured in."
2. log|z| = -2Argz.

Would I just exponentiate both sides to get [tex]\left| z \right| = e^{ - 2Argz} [/tex] ?
That's the right idea. For this type of problem (and the previous), just go through a few values of Arg(z), and figure out |z|, and plot your points. There's not really much room for confusion.
3. [tex]0 < Arg\left( {z - 1 - i} \right) < \frac{\pi }{3}[/tex]

I don't know how to work with this one. The part, z - 1 - i just means the difference between z and (1+i) I think. Let z = x + yi so [tex]0 < Arg\left( {\left( {x - 1} \right) + i\left( {y - 1} \right)} \right) < \frac{\pi }{3}[/tex].

Any help is appreciated.
If you set z = x + iy, try finding the boundaries. So find Arg(z - (1 + i)) = 0. You know that this will have to be on the real axis, so y = 1, and x will range from -1 up to infinity, so you'll get the ray terminating at (-1, 1) and extending towards the right. Do the same for Arg(z - (1+i)) = pi/3, and for some intermediate angles as well for good measure. My guess at first glance that it will look like something like a Chinese paper fan or the Shell gas shell with it's "center" or pivot (if you think about the fan) at (1,1).

Thanks for your help.

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that consist of a real part and an imaginary part. They are usually written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part with i being the imaginary unit (√-1).

2. Why do complex numbers struggle?

Complex numbers do not actually struggle, as they are mathematical concepts and cannot experience emotions. However, they can be difficult to understand and work with due to their unique properties and operations.

3. What are some common operations performed on complex numbers?

The most common operations on complex numbers include addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Other operations include finding the absolute value, conjugate, and modulus of a complex number.

4. What is the significance of complex numbers in science?

Complex numbers are used in many branches of science, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are particularly important in fields such as quantum mechanics and electrical engineering, where they are used to represent physical quantities and solve complex problems.

5. How can I improve my understanding of complex numbers?

To improve your understanding of complex numbers, it is important to have a strong foundation in basic algebra and a solid understanding of the properties and operations of complex numbers. Practice problems and seeking out additional resources, such as textbooks and online tutorials, can also help improve understanding.