Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Numbers

1. Apr 13, 2007 #1
    Hello guys;
    I'm after a bit of help here, I may have missed something completely obvious, but I can't seem to figure out the working of:

1 + i = √2(cos π/4+ i sin π/4)

ie; How does 1 + i equal √2(cos π/4+ i sin π/4)??

any help would be appreciated;
    Thanks
    Craig :)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2007 #2
    what do these litle squares stand for? what are those symbols, what do they represent??

4. Apr 13, 2007 #3
    I'm glad that I'm not the only seeing those squares. :biggrin: Some problem with fonts, I suppose.

5. Apr 13, 2007 #4
    Sorry, I guess you don't have those fonts installed on your system...i'll put it a different way;

1 + i = root(2) . (cos(pi/4) + i.sin(pi/4))

pi ...being pi(3.14...) :P

so my question is how does (1 + i) equal the value above?

I hope thats clearer?

Craig :)

6. Apr 13, 2007 #5

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Any complex number can be expressed in the form a+bi.

In this case, a=1 and b=1.
    Complex numbers can be expressed in the following form:
    [tex]r(\cos x + i\sin x)[/tex] where [itex]r=\sqrt{a^2+b^2}[/itex] and x is arctan (b/a). Anything you don't understand or want more info on im right here.

7. Apr 13, 2007 #6

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Ok picture a plane where one unit on the y axis is 1 unit on the imaginaries, or x units "up" is xi. And the x axis is just the real number line. So to denote a+bi, we would have a point that is a units from the origin to the right, and b units up. Or co ordinates, (a,b).

8. Apr 13, 2007 #7
    Craig,
    Plot the complex number on an Argand Plane. Find it's real and imaginary components in terms of the angle it makes with the real axis, and it's modulus.

9. Apr 13, 2007 #8

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Yup what neutrino said :D

10. Apr 13, 2007 #9
    ahh, thanks guys...its been a while since I have done complex numbers, I understand it now :smile:, thanks for the quick and informative replies.

Craig :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?