1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Numbers

1. Oct 7, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] Complex Numbers

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I was given an equation with complex numbers, and told to convert to polar coordinates. I was able to find r relatively easily, but finding the angle is giving me trouble- I am having difficulties in breaking the equation down into imaginary and real parts.

The equation:

2. Relevant equations

See part 1.

3. The attempt at a solution

I found r by doing the following:

Now finding theta is where I get into trouble. I can't seem to understand what to do. I tried just doing it as if all of the fraction was imaginary, which would give me -pi/2 (am I right in thinking this?), but that doesn't work.
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2007 #2

Attempt to multiply the number by [tex]\frac{9-4i}{9-4i}[/tex]. Then you can easily separate the real and imaginary parts.
  4. Oct 7, 2007 #3

Ahh wow thank you, I didn't even think of multiplying by the conjugate :approve:

It's been years since I did complex numbers so I felt silly asking that, but thank you so much
  5. Oct 7, 2007 #4
    Did you get (6/Sqrt[97])e^(i*156º)?
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2007
  6. Oct 7, 2007 #5
    2.723368 radians :cool:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?